My tough Japanese chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by columbiacritter, Apr 26, 2009.

1. columbiacritter

columbiacritter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    Captain Jack Sparrow

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Black Beak, his side kick

[​IMG]

Lira, the only buff survivor

[​IMG]

And for size comparison. Elvira, the possible barred rock, from the neighbors
    [​IMG]

Fingers crossed they are all eating and pooping. Running around being silly chicks. Their new sibs ship on the 17th.

2. the_great_snag

the_great_snag Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Staples, Minnesota
    They are very handsome birds! I am a strong admirer of the scrappy breeds such as the various Game breeds, Cornish, etc... T

I still desperately want to raise a flock of Red Jungle Fowl one of these days, just so I can observe the original chicken in its most original natural state.

That "Barred Rock" in your last pic... Are those feathers on its legs? If so, it ain't a BR! lol

3. columbiacritter

columbiacritter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    Quote:Not feathers, just dark markings. She's supposed to be a barred rock but not a single barring on her coal black wing feathers.

4. addicted2chicks

addicted2chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2009
    Michigan
    My barred rocks didn't get barring until feathers start to come in. I also have 1 barred rock that barely has any barring but still is a BR. Yours looks like a barred rock baby. The leg coloring also looks like a BR baby.

5. the_great_snag

the_great_snag Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Staples, Minnesota
    Yes, coloring on BR's can vary a LOT, and some feathers may be barred and some not. You can't know until they feather out, and then not for sure. Some birds just don't feather true to breed type, especially if there is any cross-breeding in its pedigree.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by