1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My town is going to flood again! Breaking the 1993 record!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by farmgirlie1031, Jun 10, 2008.

1. farmgirlie1031

farmgirlie1031 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    IA
    We already had one flood this spring luckily it only damaged the fairgrounds and some camping areas. Now another is coming. They are busy busy busy sandbagging. We are ok here. We live up a hill but we will have to find new routes out of town as the water covers the roads. I just hope all the downtown businesses and houses will be ok.

One of the news stories about it: http://www.wqad.com/global/story.asp?s=8461409

Last edited: Jun 11, 2008
  2. Rose's Human Hen

Rose's Human Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    well stay safe during the flood.

3. tygab

tygab Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2008
    MA/NH border
    I feel for everyone, sure seems the weather is haywire early this year. floods in some places, tornados for others, the northeast heat wave before it is even summer, [​IMG] makes me think the gulf/south coastal states will get some bad hurricanes this year too...

hang in there, and help out where you can...

4. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

I agree. Prayers...

5. farmgirlie1031

Apr 26, 2008
    IA
    They've closed the highway and put giant piles of sand down the center lane to protect as much of the downtown as they can. I sure hope it holds. Dad probably will not be able to make the 35 mile drive to work tommorrow because almost all the routes he could take to work are closed or will be closed soon. I'm just glad we are safe where we are and I feel really bad for all the people who are going to loose things to the flood. We went to the grocery store tonight. It will close tommorrow as they move stuff out of there to safety. A lot of businesses down there were loading trailers and moving as much as they can out of there. People with livestock down there were moving all of them out of there.

6. farmgirlie1031

Apr 26, 2008
    IA
    http://www.topix.net/city/columbus-junction-ia

They
    say they are going to break the 1993 record flood. Our town is where the Iowa and Cedar rivers meet and both rivers are going to have record flood stages. I just pray for all the people this is going to affect not only in my town but everywhere that it is flooding.

7. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Stay safe! [​IMG]

8. farmgirlie1031

Apr 26, 2008
    IA
    We will be safe out here in the county. I just feel awful for the businesses in town that are going to get water. I feel awful for all the people in Iowa who's houses are flooded also. And everyone in the Midwest dealing with the floods please Take Care! I know Iowa is not the only place flooding. I went through the 1993 floods in Riverside and Parkville, MO so I know how bad it can be.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2008
  9. hazelton farms

hazelton farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2008
    NC
    Good for you Farmgirlie!!! Keep it going!! Save the town! I read the story and that's fantastic that you are all helping your town.

Back in 92, we had somethin' tragic happen where I lived and instead of helping, everyone pilfered, set fires to homes and businesses and beat the stuffing out of innocent truck drivers, etc. Not a way to help in the time of need!

So you keep going!!!! Keep us updated when you can!

Stacy

10. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    please keep us updated and take care girl [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by