My trip to Holderreads!!! **Pic heavy, and very long winded (sorry)***

DMSrabbit

Songster
9 Years
Dec 6, 2010
Portland, OR
So last wednesday (i havent had a chance to write about it until now), i got to visit (not walk onto) Holddereads waterfowl farm and preservation center in Philomath, OR. Until about 2-3 months ago, i never owned ducks, i honestly never wanted them, i didnt see the point of them ( i was not enlightened at that point), and i counldnt see myself EVER owning one, let alone a few of them.. Then one day that all changed... A local poultry and waterfowl companion of mine had her barn burn down.. She lost ALL of her stock of birds, she (and i) were totally devastated by this, and i gave her my entire bobwhite quail stock, as well as many chickens to re-start her operation amongst the ashes. The only two survivors from her farm, were two little Black East Indies, she didnt really have a plan for them, and neither did i, but i obliged her in keeping them for her, until she could take them back. At first i didnt know what to do with these little squawkers, but over time i had come to LOVE them. I gladly accommodated them into my flock, adopted them from her, and soon i wanted MORE!!

A problem i have, is that i can do nothing "small" i fail to see the line between hobby and full-sized operation with whatever project(s) i endure, so naturally i wanted MORE ducks to join the crew. Since i currently owned the Black East Indie pair, loved their solid black color, and especially the green, blue, and purple reflective light from their millions of prisms strewn through their feather follicles. With any animal, i always try to get "the best" stock that i can.. So i started researching for Black East Indie breeders, or well developed lines, and somebody told me that i should look in a place called "Holderreads waterfowl and preservation center." I saw their Black East Indies on the backyard chicken forums, and heard everyone stating how good their lines were, so i decided to glance at their website.. When the page popped up, my mouth dropped on my lap, and my heart sank.. Holderread's is located in Corvallis, OR (actually Philomath), which is literally ONE HOUR from my doorstep!!!! I saw their birds, pricing sheets, and then decided to take the plunge..

So i pick up the phone and dial Holderread's and speak to Dave's wife Millie. Millie was incredibly informative, courteous, and answered any questions i had regarding their farm, themselves, and most importantly, their birds!! I must have spoke to her for almost an HOUR the first time i talked to her, this is after she told me she could only "give me a few minutes of time." Wow, how accommodating she was to my ADD question stream that belted from my mouth! I ordered a really high quality (not elite showlines, but right below)pair of BEI's, and was set to drive down about a week later and pick them up.

Then, i had a friend pass from Cancer, and had to travel to the east coast for all the processions, memorials and such, and therefore could not make it down to pick my birds up as scheduled. I again had to call Holderreads and regretfully re-schedule my appointment. Millie and i ended up talking for about 15 minutes again, and upon all of my questions regarding the quality of my birds, she asked DAVE if he could spend a few minutes of his time, examining and talking to me about my birds. He obliged, and stated that when i return he would "give me a few minutes of his time."

After returning from the east coast, Wednesday the 9th, i grabbed my mating pair, and set off to Philomath. I thought that maybe there was a specific street, or gated entrance for the farm, but it was just a regular old driveway located right on a pretty busy street! Some of their Geese, and a few ducks, are even viewable from the road. Upon arrival i was met by Millie, who informed me Dave, would be coming around the corner to talk to me. I had no idea what this man was supposed to look like, but he was nothing as i had suspected. A small unassuming man, dressed in multilayer-ed work attire, thin glasses, garden gloves, small hat, and Amish style beard approached. He had a very large smile on his face, and immediately gave me a firm handshake.

I was very scared (initially) to ask this man so many questions. It seems that someone who has been a waterfowl teacher, and been raising certain species for 40+ years, he would be tired of answering a novices questions, but i couldn't have been more wrong. Dave proceeded to not only answer all my questions, but basically give me a seminar on Black East Indies, and taught me several practical things about ducks (and geese) in general. We talked about all sorts of things, and he was incredibly humble. For someone with 50 years of experience, and a championship winning list the size of both my arms, he informed me that even now, he is still learning, never claims to know "everything" and is always on the lookout for new knowledge that will help aid in his endeavors. He informed me that while the internet is a great source and tool for information gathering, it is also a propagator of disinformation. He shared alot of that disinformation with me, and i was shocked. For example, we talked about geese, and i informed him that i wanted some curly Sebastapol geese, but i live in the city, and i thought they would be too noisy. He quite frankly stated "There are over 700 birds/geese on this property, do you hear anything? The air was silent, and i only heard one goose call the entire hour and a half that i was there. He gladly examined my birds with care, explained what to look for in varying levels of birds, how to breed for better future generations, tips on advancing the green prisming in their plumage, how to pick show birds, birds for breeding, and birds to cull, etc. The list literally goes on, and on, and i learned ten times more on this visit, than i have reading the literature, and questions i have asked online (many of which went unanswered) in the subsequent 2-3 months.

After we ended our conversation about Black East Indies, and moved onto call ducks, i told Dave that i was interested in a butterscotch pair, but as they were sold out, they had no stock. Dave started to ask me what my purposes are for my call ducks, and when he figured out they were just for hanging around the yard, and for hatching pet ducklings for friends and family, he told me how i could cross genes to make my own butterscotch pair. Then we started talking about different pairings, and after he brought his nephew over (who is in charge of the Calls and BEI's) we all talked about what my best options would be. Holderreads is not set up for Credit Cards, and i had very little cash left after my pair of BEI's were purcahsed. I had basically enough cash left to get a Drake or hen, but not a pair. Dave saw this dilemma, but had a wonderful plan to quell it. They had mated a pastel to a mallard call, and they got beautiful ducklings, however one of the females wing was curled up. So Dave sold me a Blue Fawn Drake, and then GAVE me the female for FREE!!! I also ended up leaving with the very first Hardback brand new addition of "Storeys guide to raising ducks, by Dave Holderread (amongst contributors), which i haven't put down since, and is probably the best poultry book i have ever read (besides pastured poultry profits.)

I left with 4 new birds, my 2 that Dave graciously examined for me, and their new book!! Dave told me he would give me "a few minutes of his time" and talked with me for OVER an hour. I didnt get to step out onto the farm and the duck pens, due to biosecurity ( i already knew this before coming), but this was the best trip i have taken in months! Best of all it was right in my backdoor, and they told me i could come back whenever i needed anything!

Dave and his wife Millie (along with the nephew) are the NICEST people i have EVER met. There are literally not enough synonyms for the word "nice" in the dictionary to accommodate this couple and their nephew. I left their farm feeling like i had gotten some semblance of what it was to be a real farmer, accompanied with the disposition, temperament, and grace it takes to fuel your passion for 50 years!!

I have been "turned off" from several waterfowl and poultry farms in the US, due to the hubris many of them have regarding their lines, and their dispositions as human beings. I would recommend that every breeder stay truly humble, we can NEVER expect to know everything.. Life itself is about learning, and its unfortunate to see so many people claiming that they know everything about their breeds; and therefore deliberately spreading inaccurate information across a large captive audience to make themselves "look better" than the next.
This country exhibits many fine birds, and many great farms, but with the fuel of disinformation, and Hubris that many Breeders have, its nice to know that the Holderreads are out there, fueling the right type of example for the rest of us to follow...

PICS

DSCN2688.JPG

Holderread holding box for geese

DSCN2691.JPG

The man, the myth, the legend, Mr. Dave Holderread himself!!

DSCN2692.JPG

My Black East Indies waiting to be examined by Dave

DSCN2693.JPG

View from the driveway

DSCN2694.JPG

View of some Geese from the driveway

DSCN2711.JPG

New pastel/mallard female, she is SO small, and makes the funniest noises!!

DSCN2713.JPG

Her left wing (the reason i got her for free)

DSCN2714.JPG

Blue Fawn Drake

DSCN2716.JPG

Cute little face!!

DSCN2717.JPG

New BEI drake, note his prism coloration's for this time of year, they are stunning!!

DSCN2718.JPG

This is a solid black, show quality bill!

DSCN2719.JPG

Cute little face pic!

DSCN2720.JPG

Non-cooperative new BEI hen from side angle

DSCN2722.JPG

New BEI hen top

DSCN2723.JPG

Look at those blues and greens!!

DSCN2727.JPG

New BEI pair hiding in their new pen

DSCN2729.JPG

Older established BEI couple keeping watch for the new hiding pair

DSCN2730.JPG

Front cover of their new hardback book (Im the first public person to have this book!!)

DSCN2733.JPG

Back cover with a nice shot of Dave

DSCN2737.JPG

Happy 6 pack, home safe, and free ranging in the yard!!

That's fantastic!
Thanks for sharing your adventure.
That would be like a "Dream Vacation" for this duck lover-a trip to Holderreads.

What a nice trip! One thing I especially liked about the farm was how open and clean it was. It's clear that Mr. Holderread cares about the health and happiness of his birds and that they're not just a mass breeding facility.

Can you say...ROAD TRIP! I wanna go there SOOOO bad!

I want calls and silkies and east indies and........

Back
Top Bottom