1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My Turken Has A 2 Inch Bloody Gash On Her Neck!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by dangerouschicken, Jun 7, 2008.

1. dangerouschicken

dangerouschicken Will Barter For Coffee

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    Our Buff Orpington cockerel ripped her neck right open while showing dominance (I think). My DH saw the whole thing. He said she (Padma) was screeching horrifically, and it sounded just like she was saying, "HELP! HELP! HELP!" When he opened the coop to save her, her Turken sister (Parvati) was huddling over her, keeping the others away. She was totally protecting the other Turken pullet. My DH inspected Padma, and as the wound was very bloody, he consulted me on what to do next.

Luckily, the people we rent from were on the property today, and the guy is a vet. He was able to look her over. He had never seen a Turken before and at first thought she was a baby turkey [​IMG] He said to just put Neosporin on her wound and keep her separate from the others until she healed. He also said DO NOT BANDAGE IT. Need to pass that info onto to others in case they ever have a similar situation.

You are probably wondering why we didn't just eat her, as I always seem to be writing about that. But truth be told, there are some chickens I don't want to eat. Padma is one of them. Of course, quite deservedly, the BO cockerel will probably soon be dinner.

Padma was so comforted by us holding her and petting her. She let everyone of us look her over, let me put on the medicine, etc. without fussing AT ALL. I have to say at this point in my life, Turkens are now my favorite chicken. She was such a sweet animal after such a traumatic situation, and you have to understand, I'm not super lovey with my critters. I don't hold the poultry often. She had no reason to trust me WHATSOEVER, but she did. Amazing!

Padma is currently in our basement, sleeping under an upside down cradle, recuperating.

Poor girl.

Updated to add: I will update you on her progress over the weekend.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2008
  2. dangerouschicken

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    She is doing much better, eating well, chillin' in her crib [​IMG]

3. angelmarie

angelmarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2008
    bakersfield
    well i've heard you can put some like nealsporin on it the stuff the gash with flour to kinda close it

4. dangerouschicken

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    I didn't know about the flour part. It seems to be healing quickly with just the Neosporin.

Here's the freaky part: I went out to the coop this afternoon, and my OTHER TURKEN HEN had an EVEN BIGGER gash on her neck! It was so nasty looking and sad. I can't believe this is happening to them. Are they just targets because of their naked necks?

I put the other one (Parvati) down in the basement, too. She's also be Neosporined. I hope she recovers quickly like Padma seems to be.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] why are my Turkens getting beat up? [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. angelmarie

Jun 3, 2008
    bakersfield
    well that could be the problem, and they don't have any feathers to protect their neck either

6. tnkinhunting

tnkinhunting Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2008
    East Tennessee
    Do you know who the bully is that is beating up on them? Might need to remove it for a week or so and then put it back - that sometimes changes the pecking order and they aren't so aggressive.

7. tiffanyh

tiffanyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    I had to end up separating out my turken... they were almost killing her!

She is my fav hen too!

8. dangerouschicken

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    I am considering a separate space for the two turken hens. It really ticks me off, because they are so sweet and the others are such jerks. Who cares if they have bare necks, stupid racist chooks [​IMG] This is 2008! Get with the program! [​IMG]

They are getting better down in my basement hospital ward, but they can't stay there forever. They are chickens!

9. angelmarie

Jun 3, 2008
    bakersfield
    ok heres an idea make them neck covers there really easy to crochet use a good strong yarn and that should protect them! [​IMG]

10. dangerouschicken

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    [​IMG] That's just what my husband suggested, funny enough [​IMG]

They are healing well. I put them in the old duck pen (ducks had to go byebye) and they are thriving. They love being together and having their own "apartment." I should change their names to LaVerne and Shirley. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by