My turkey ATE a rhinestone!

Hawkeye95

Songster
8 Years
Jun 18, 2011
Oklahoma City area
My Coop
My Coop
OKay... please tell me there's nothing to worry about... right?? A rhinestone about the size of a dime (yes it was BIG!) fell off clothing and she ate it before I even had a chance to grab it-- actually, we both saw it at the same time and I made a grab for it, but she was faster!
sad.png
Hoping she will be okay?? And will it "pass on through" or is it going to be stuck in her forever? She's acting fine, maybe a bit glittery....
wink.png

oh- she's a Royal Palm about 5 or 6 months old.

Last edited:
I would think it's just going to pass on through without any issues, turkeys are more prone to eat weird things. A tip I find that works is try not to dress like Liberache while doing feeding chores
wink.png

Thank goodness it's not a real gem, or you'd be going through some poop for a few days!
gig.gif

I hope she can just poo it out. Maybe it will roll around in the crop or gizzard and help her grind the food up like apiece of gravel would.......

I'm betting she will be fine. I too am mezmerized by glitter......I dont' usually try to eat it though.......

Quote:
Hysterical!!
gig.gif
I'll be sure to keep that in mind! Although-- this rhinestone was on my driveway and my Mother in Law was visiting last night- she's the one with the propensity toward lots of glitter and huge rhinestones! Okay-- so it should pass?? I'll keep an eye on it. She's in a small pen under my deck right now instead of free ranging so I can watch her.
roll.png

Quote:
I know! I really freaked out when I saw it on the ground- after she got it in her beak, I grabbed her and opened her mouth, but it was already down the hatch! I checked my own wedding ring to be sure it didn't come loose (it was a little big for that, but I was so shaken up-- I had to check!)
tongue.png
I hope it comes on out, just so I don't have to worry. But I guess if she continues to act okay...

If it is seperated so you can watch and see if it passes, you need to keep a good eye there so it doesn't re-ingest it again. Kinda like a diamond in the rough so to speak LOL, I kill myself sometimes.

I'm just relieved it's not going to be a problem (and it's not a real gem). Love everyone's humor.
smile.png
Could it pass today? I'll check on her frequently today to be sure.

Back
Top Bottom