My turkey doesn't like my new rooster!

chicmom

Dances with Chickens
14 Years
Feb 24, 2009
Strasburg Ohio
Mr. Turkey, my Royal Palm is appx six months old now. He struts, displays, gobbles and thumps all around the yard, but is generally a peaceful guy. I've got one girlfriend for him, the same age.

ANYHOW, I bought a nice trio of large fowl Buckeyes. They are just beautiful. I've had them in the coop, in a room where they can see the flock, but not touch them for two weeks now, and the other day, I decided to let them free range with the flock.

Mr. Turkey immediately attacked him and caused his comb to bleed just a little bit. The rooster is two years old (a champion), and the girls are just pullets. I have never seen Mr. Turkey act like this. Not sure how to handle it, but they aren't free ranging together yet, and I can't add my new trio to the flock because the turkeys are always with them.

I have two ideas: Alternate the free ranging, while keeping Mr. Turkey inside, or possibly putting the turkeys in the 4x8 room in the hen house, so that the chickens can all be together. (I've had no blackhead troubles at all.)

One important thing to mention is that the rooster has a WICKED set of spurrs.....I know he can hurt the turkey if he wants to.

Any other ideas from you fabulous turkey people?

Sharon

Last edited:
Anybody? Turkey people? Maybe the turkey people are at work today.......
wink.png

I was surprised by the trans-species aggression, too. I have a rooster that has moved his bad self to the front yard, which is duck-land. He went over and is acting all big and bad to the Rouen drakes.

let them have at it while you supervise. they will hash it out once they can get away from one another. If they get hut a little whiel hashing it out that is natural. go to each one later in the day and put some blue coat n the wounds but do not try to do it immediately otherwise youre turkey will see it as competition and it is on again.

Back
Top Bottom