My Turkey Hen has Bumble Foot

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Steph L., Apr 3, 2018.

1. Steph L.

Steph L. In the Brooder

Oct 18, 2017
    Help! I'm new to this. Is soaked her foot and took off the black scab. This is what is underneath. How much of it is infection and should go?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. Did you try to post a picture? Bumblefoot usually has a yellow cheese-like plug that needs to be squeezed out. It may require some cutting to get down to it. There are 2 good links to read by The-Chicken-Chick with videos if you Google “bumblefoot in chickens.” Also, at the top of this page you may do a search under “search forums” for more info. Many people soak, while some go the surgery route. Each case is different. Try again to post your pictures.

3. Steph L.

Steph L. In the Brooder

Oct 18, 2017
    It doesn't seem to be encapsulated

Attached Files:

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    You can continue soaking, and it sometimes requires a lot of squeezing or digging a little deeper with a scalpel. It sounds gross, but sometimes it just sort of pops out if you reach the right depth. I used to do a lot of bumblefoot surgery, but now only do it is there is limping or an obvious abscess. My chicken yard has lots of tiny sharp rocks that come to the surface every winter. Too many cases to treat.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: