My Turkey hen has started to be dominating to rest of flock

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by alpeta1981, Aug 19, 2014.

1. alpeta1981

alpeta1981 New Egg

Dec 13, 2012
    Northampton, England
    i currently have a 6 year old Norfolk bronze Tom & Hen and two 2.5 year old crotzweiler hens, and 3 female Muscovy Hens who are between 3-6 years
    Over the last 3 months one of my female crotzweiller has been strutting around like a male and all of a sudden she has started attacking my Tom and herding him into the corners of the garden and rounding up the other birds including the Ducks,
    She pins them down and stands on their backs, pecking their heads.
    It's got to the point I'm having to shut her away separately from the rest during the day but as soon as she joins them she starts on them.
    Does anybody have any ideas please I'm thinking of rehoming her.

Thanks

Last edited: Aug 19, 2014
  2. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    Crollwitzers?

Separate her, out of sight of the others, for a week (24/7). Then reintroduce her - if she starts the dominance routine - repeat separation. If two weeks doesn't do it, I'd re-home. Usually, out-of-sight/out-of-mind, for an extended period will serve to break up many bad behavioral patterns.
    Behavior could also be a sign of a hormonal shift owing to ovarian condition of some sort.

ed:sp

Last edited: Aug 20, 2014
  3. alpeta1981

alpeta1981 New Egg

Dec 13, 2012
    Northampton, England
    [​IMG]
    This is a picture of her she is a Crotzweiler breed.

4. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    Let's just call her Pied :) Interesting that the Royal Palm (U.S.) wasn't recognized by the American Poultry Association until 1971, while the `Crollwitzer/Pied/Black Laced White' has been around since the 1700's on your side of the pond. (went searching for `Crotzweilers' on google images last night and was shown nothing but Rottweilers. However, this resulted in finding out more about what I thought were most often called Pied, in England - thanks!) Did run into this fine Crollwitzer Stag (tom) for sale in Newbury/Wantage :( [​IMG] Try the separation tactic, fine looking hen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by