My Turkey is sick, any ideas?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Cathlina, Feb 23, 2008.

1. Cathlina

Cathlina Out Of The Brooder

Jan 11, 2007
    Texas Transplant
    Help!
    One of my toms is sick. I thought it could was a cold since we had a sleet storm but he stinks. I mean when I picked him up to isolate him from the others there was a fluid coming from his mouth that smelled like he was dead. I have never smelled anything like this before.
    He is listless and has no appetite. He is with 9 others and they are all fine.
    Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks [​IMG]

2. KKluckers

KKluckers Time Out

Sep 4, 2007
    Coryza has a distinct smell. Im no expert, but I would start him on teramyacin asap and quarantine him from your flock. Is anyone else getting sick?

3. Cathlina

Jan 11, 2007
    Texas Transplant
    I don't think its that because his eyes are fine. Yes he quarantined. But I think its something thats going on with him because he has been in contact with many other turkeys and he's the only one.
    I have smelled Corzya and its worse. I mean he really smells like he's already dead inside. The fluid leaking from his mouth when I pick him up is what gets me. Thats the first time I have ever seen that and thats what smells so bad.

4. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Could it be sour crop?? I sure hope he pulls through.

5. Cathlina

Jan 11, 2007
    Texas Transplant
    Hi Justus,
    I have never heard of that so I googled it. I found some reading on it but no reference to what kinds of smells it might involve. But I am sure it does not smell good.

Thanks

6. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Sour crop is a putrid smell. Sorta like rotten food...bile. Im not sure how to treat it....maybe dhlunicorn will chime in here soon! How is it acting? Eating at all?? Drinking water? I would hold ALL food...and give it water with electrolytes for at least 24 hours. I sure hope he makes it.

7. Cathlina

Jan 11, 2007
    Texas Transplant
    This is his second day of Penn G and he was trying to eat and drink tonight. Now that I think I know what it is I will need to take his food away tomorrow and rub his crop. I found some good advice about how to empty a impacted crop. I guess tomorrow I will get something to plug up my nose and try to fix him before he dies.

8. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Catt - just wanted to wish you luck with helping your tom out. As I started reading this, I thought sour crop immediately. I hope he recovers for you.

Jody

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by