My turkey ran away

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by mochicken, Aug 15, 2011.

1. mochicken

mochicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    NW Missouri
    [​IMG] as I was cleaning and feeding the coops this evening my 12 week old bronze turkey ( 1 of 3 ) ran out behind me and straight into the woods. I saw it out in the open and tried to catch it but it ran off into the woods. All three of them are skittish, they will come near me for food but that's about it, they have no interest I'm being friends.

They are locked up each night so I am so scared that it will get eaten tonight trying to roost, hope it cones back tomorrow but I'm not counting on it [​IMG]

2. TGreenhut

TGreenhut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2010
    Northern, CA
    [​IMG] Awww I hope it comes back! I know how you feel! When I got my first 2 hens they ran off into the woods behind my old house. I thought they were gone for good. But Shockingly 9 MONTHS LATER I found one of the hens while I was on a walk. She was perching in a tree so I caught her and brought her home. She lives to this day as NICE and healthy as can be! [​IMG]

3. 6chickens in St. Charles

6chickens in St. Charles Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    St. Charles, IL
    Actually there was a tom turkey in the tree across the street from us last week. It looked buff colored, pale blue and pale tan with a pale, bluish head and the long hairs from its chest were blue/gray. All the neighbors were wondering "what kind of hawk or owl could that be, with the big, long neck? Is it a vulture?" Later I remembered the naragansett turkeys we saw at Garfield Farm in Maple Park this year, needing homes. I bet one went home with a neighbor and wandered away, unless it's yours!

4. doop

doop Out Of The Brooder

Jul 5, 2011
    n.e minnesota
    I had that happen a couple times too. Both times she was out pacing back in forth out side of coop first thing in the morning. hopefully no predators find it. Good luck!

5. mochicken

Apr 27, 2011
    NW Missouri
    Thanks all, I have hope that she will come home this morning but I dont think so...................

I cant believe how flighty they have gotten after being put outside when they lived in my dining room for 8 weeks. When my chickens were put out they were a little flighty but now they follow me around like puppies, wish the turkeys would be more like the chickens:(

6. Moerose

Moerose Out Of The Brooder

May 14, 2011
    Alachua County, Florida
    I"m so sorry! I'm sending turkey mojo your way in the hopes he comes back!

7. ColbyNTX

ColbyNTX Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Woods, TX
    Did she show up? I can't believe she would leave the flock.

8. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    I am so sorry to hear that! Did your turkey come back? I have two turkeys that I raised with chickens. (Here in my area of Ohio, blackhead disease hasn't been an issue.)

Anyhow, they are shy, but they do follow me around just like the chickens do. They really don't like to be touched though, but occasionally I can pick one up. I was worried too, when I first allowed them to free range with the flock, but they did just fine. They do fly! It's incredible! Right up onto the roof of the hen house. And they always fly when I first open the run each day to let them free range. But they stick around. At least I hope they stay around--these are my first turkeys.

I'll bet he comes back!

Take care, and let us know,
    Sharon

9. mochicken

Apr 27, 2011
    NW Missouri
    I am at work but my wife has been looking all over for it, no sign [​IMG] it is stormy and cloudy today so maybe this afternoon it will come out when it wants treats, doubt it though

10. mochicken

Apr 27, 2011
    NW Missouri
    24 hours and still not home, the wife said she saw it run across the yard today but it is not trying to go home [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by