My turkey update! Think I have a pair!

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by adoptapitbull, Oct 29, 2011.

1. adoptapitbull

adoptapitbull Out Of The Brooder

Sep 21, 2011
    Eastern WV
    About a month ago, I bought RP or RP mix turkeys. I think (hope!) I can tell that I have a tom and a hen. Also, do they look more purebred now? I think when I got them, they were just muddy.

Day 1:

[​IMG]

Present Day:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The tom also has this mohawk of feathers down his back, similar to the adult tom's look. The hen does not have this at all.

Also, I saw the tom posture and have a scrap with a chicken the other day! The chicken started it, so he says. They kept walking around each other and jumping. No pecking or anything, just a whole bunch of dancing around. Not in the way that roosters shuffle to mate hens, though, more like circles. He was puffing himself up, too. That makes me think he's a tom, too.

2. adoptapitbull

Sep 21, 2011
    Eastern WV
    Can anyone tell me if I have a pair? I know there are some experts out there!

3. Ksane

Ksane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 21, 2011
    Oklahoma
    The pictures are too blurry, I can't really tell.
    I've got 3 Royal Palms that are 17 wks old now and I can't tell with them. I know 1 is a male and possibly all 3. I guess I need to get some pics and start a thread.
    See if you can get clearer pictures perhaps.

4. adoptapitbull

Sep 21, 2011
    Eastern WV
    Bumping this up now since there seems to be more activity on the board!

Anyone with opinions?

5. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

I raise RP's. The way I can tell is,...... The males will have thicker legs, & the black will start showing up on the males chest. Sorry, can't tell by your pics, but one does seem to have thicker legs.

6. adoptapitbull

Sep 21, 2011
    Eastern WV
    Does that mohawk on the back mean anything?

7. Sir Birdaholic

It means it is a Punk Rocker! [​IMG] [​IMG] No, when they get older, the feathers on the neck will be higher up on the female, but right now it's too early to see that. My guess, from what I can see, is you have a pair.

8. Sir Birdaholic

[​IMG]

At that age, it's really hard to tell. I ended up with 1 tom in the latest hatch.

9. adoptapitbull

Sep 21, 2011
    Eastern WV
    Thanks for the input. I keep snood checking, but can't tell any differences yet. Still no black on either chest. Been looking for that, too!

10. Sir Birdaholic

Yes, it's really hard to tell, till they get older. I sure hope you end up with a pair,...... if not,...... I'll have eggs in the spring! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by