My turkey was attacked by 2 dogs.

KristiK

Hatching
6 Years
Nov 24, 2013
I'm not giving advice, just need to get it from anyone that might know. My son's turkey was attacked last Thursday night by two dachshunds. It looked pretty bad, and she was lethargic. Friday morning she was better, and has seemed to get better as time goes on. She still has a hole in her neck we need to hold shut when she eats and drinks, otherwise the stuff comes out of the hole. We have been putting Vetricyn on the wounds, and have been giving her some animal antibiotics. My concern is her wounds. She was ripped up pretty bad. Much of her skin (and meat) on her back are gone. She is starting to smell bad, and she has lots of places with puss on them. In a few places the skin is darkening....black and dark green. There are no maggots on her. Does anyone know what this all means? We are not sure when she should be put down. This is a "pet" turkey, and is very friendly with people. She's in our kitchen right now. Any advice welcome!

so, the wounds are infected but its not the end of the world, so long as she stays clean she might just fight the infection herself, you can clean clean it with hydrogen peroxide or iodine anyway make sure you clean the wounds 2-3 times daily and she should be fine
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom