My Turkey...where's the deep fryer??

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by boilerjoe_96, Sep 21, 2007.

1. boilerjoe_96

boilerjoe_96 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2007
    West Lafayette, IN
    Was a Broad Breasted Bronze Tom. Hatched 4/30

Sans head but wet(after scalding) weighed about 30 lbs. 22 dressed as you see it....

[​IMG]

Still a couple hard to get feather roots. My finger nails are soft after 2 hours of cleaning. I will pull the rest out in a day or two.

Figured let it rest in Fridge for 2 days then freeze.

Will be deep fried, if it fits in my fryer, for 2007 Purdue Homecoming Oct 27.

2. RioLindoAz

RioLindoAz Sleeping

Jul 8, 2007
    Yuma, Arizona
    WOW I bet you will have a feast

3. AK-Bird-brain

AK-Bird-brain I gots Duckies!

May 7, 2007
    Sterling, Alaska
    We just butchered a couple last week and needle nose pliers are a big help. for some of the really fine hair like feathers just use a flame to singe them off.

p.s. your going to love the taste

4. SimplcitiyAltered

SimplcitiyAltered Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2007
    Grand Ridge, Iillinois
    nice looking bird I hear the ones you clean yourself always tastes the best I dont eat turkey never have liked the taste of it did try it deep fried once and it was not too bad. 2 hours cleaning this must of been your first one [​IMG] it gets easier as you do more I now can get em ready for the fridge in half an hour its the geese that get me frustrated. I do not like xmas time just for the fact I know there will be a goose to clean.

5. WindyOaksYokes

WindyOaksYokes Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2007
    Central Virginia
    Absolutely Beautiful!!!!!!!!!!! I get to do that next month for Thanksgiving... with one of the Royal Palms. Need to learn how... LOL any pointers????

As for another question - I hate wild turkey... is my home turkey better tasting??? You all keep saying the taste is good... please put my mind/tastebuds at ease.

6. Arklady

Arklady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2007
    Kansas
    I thought you were supposed to marinade the turkey before sticking it in to the deep fryer... After all poultry is a mild flavored meat product.

Arklady

7. boilerjoe_96

boilerjoe_96 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2007
    West Lafayette, IN
    Arklady: I put a dry spice rub on it and let it sit for a couple hours. I always pick ham at Thankgiving as I am not a turkey fan. However, if the bird is deep fried, I eat the bird.

WindyOaksYokes: I have 4 Royal Palm poults right now. My girls knew this one was for food but wanted a mommy and daddy turkey. I got 4 in hopes of atleast 1 male and 1 female. Please post on here how your RP tastes. As I could have 2 extras that will 'meat' a different fate than the two pets....

Simple: Yes first turkey. I do have 10 Cornish Cross under my belt. I have an unreliable helper(my BIL) so I did not take him off of food for 12 hours. Crop was huge. I took my time cutting around it as I really did not want to cut into it...

As with the chickens I did they all broke their wings right at the joint of the last two wing sections. I just cut the end section off.

8. WindyOaksYokes

WindyOaksYokes Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2007
    Central Virginia
    WindyOaksYokes: I have 4 Royal Palm poults right now. My girls knew this one was for food but wanted a mommy and daddy turkey. I got 4 in hopes of atleast 1 male and 1 female. Please post on here how your RP tastes. As I could have 2 extras that will 'meat' a different fate than the two pets....

I sure will! and I want to clarify that I will be doing this to a Tom. I really don't know if there is a difference between male or female... I sure know there is a size difference!!!​

9. texaschickmama

texaschickmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Poolville, TX
    Wild turkey taste great if you take the breast and soak in buttermilk then filet it into strips and flour it and deep fry it like a chicken strip. SOOOOOOOO good. The dark meat is best in a jambalya with some sausage. My cajun daddy is a fantastic cook. BUT most of the time I don't bother asking what exactly I'm eating.[​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by