My Turkey's intestines prolapsed!!!

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by tbowser, Feb 5, 2016.

1. tbowser

tbowser New Egg

Feb 5, 2016
    [​IMG]
    Why did this happen? She weighed approx. 50 lbs, her intestines were lying in the run almost 3-4 feet of them. It was heartbreaking that she had to be put down. The chickens were pecking at them, too. I'm worried it may have been an infection or something and I don't want the chickens to be affected. Has anyone seen this before?

2. memphis

memphis Overrun With Chickens

Aug 6, 2012
    Aww....that's so sad. Sorry. You might post over on the emergencies thread. They might have an idea.

3. tbowser

tbowser New Egg

Feb 5, 2016
    Thank you, I did, I figured I'd post both places in case someone knew here too. I was very sad, her name was Gladys, and she used to get so excited to see me....she would flap her wings and pace back and forth till I came up and pet her. I miss her so much!!!

4. memphis

memphis Overrun With Chickens

Aug 6, 2012
    Hopefully someone can offer insight. I've never had that happen. Turkey hens are special...so sorry you lost her...

5. turksinmaine

turksinmaine Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2015
    could be Ornithosis, but doubtful. If I was you I would have safely swept her up in something and contact local government for a autopsy. they would preform it for free considering the circumstances. I'll be honest, any kind of likely disease that could cause that kind of fatality maybe infectious, hopefully I am wrong. I would under no circumstances process that bird for human consumption.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by