my turkeys need help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chathound, Dec 8, 2012.

1. chathound

chathound Out Of The Brooder

Dec 8, 2012
    millport,alabama
    im new to the form
    and i cant seem to find the cure for my turkeys illness
    to start offf with i got a turkey hen from a guy that has alot of turkeys he told me he seperate her from the flock because he was trying to brake her from setting on eggs
    well by the time i got her to my house i notice she sometimes has a rattle in her when she breath and she cough every once in a while i didnt know i was suppose to keep her from my other birds at that time i had chickens and one tom i got her so he would not be lonely
    then i bought some turkey eggs and hatch me most little turkeys they are about 5 months old and i notice a few of them have watery eyes and one has a swellen head and it looks like under his eyes is fill with water
    all the vet around me are dog and cat and cattle vets not poultry vets
    they tell me its blackhead but i think they are wrong i think its a sinus or respiratory infection
    can anyone tell me what they have and is there a naturaly cure with out having to use harmfull med that will keep me from eating the turkey or their eggs or do i need to kill them all and start over
    thank you for your help
    dave

2. chathound

Dec 8, 2012
    millport,alabama
    does anyone have any ideal what they have

surely someone else has ran into this problem before i cant be the first one with this mess

the vets around here say they have never seen this before and since its messing with the turkeys head they say its blackhead
    they gave me some TETROXY HCA - 280

will that help my turkeys
    i really don't like giving meds like this to my birds i raise them for food for my large family
    i know from ready the label on the package that it has 0 day before the slaughtering and it states that i cannot eat the eggs i don't eat turkey eggs i just hatch them and raise them for the meat
    but if i give them this medicine and then hatch the eggs will i still be able to give then to my family to eat
    please can someone help me out on this of all the chicken and quails and pheasants i have raised i have never ran into this problem this is my first time working with turkeys
    thank you
    Dave

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I've never owned turkeys. I doubt you're dealing with blackhead as well. Blackhead is deadly to turkeys. Most likely it's something respiratory and tetroxy hca 280 can be used to treat turkeys as well as chickens. There isnt any slaughter withdrawal, so the birds should be safe to eat.

4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2012
  5. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
  6. chathound

Dec 8, 2012
    millport,alabama
    hey casportpony
    yep your picture is right on the money thats how 3 of my little turkeys look and my vets around here have not ran into any thing like this with this desease
    are they safe to eat i know i cannot sell them or their eggs if i give them meds i have done a few things to get the swelling down without the harsh meds
    but with this in thier system are they safe too eat or do i need to kill them all and start over again
    yhank you all for the help

7. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I think they're safe to eat, but check with someone in the turkey forum.

8. chathound

Dec 8, 2012
    millport,alabama
    ok thank you for your help
    i thought i was in the turkey part

9. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by