My turn for day 18! **Day 20 Update-Pips**

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ZuniBee, Nov 11, 2007.

1. ZuniBee

ZuniBee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2007
    Zuni, Virginia
    Well today is day 18 for the eggs I got from Speckledhen and day 17 for my Millie Fluer's from Melinda. (Day 18 started at 1pm. I waited until this evening to up the humidity so one would be a long day 18 and the others are early day 18.)

I set the following:
    6 Blue Orp/Buff Brahma
    3 Barred Plymouth Rock
    2 Barred Rock/Rhode Isl Red
    2 Ameraucana (chicks will be blue or black)

and then 9 Millie Fluer's from Melinda.

On day 12 I removed 1 Barred Plymoth Rock and 2 Millie Fluer eggs and cracked them open. They were all not fertile. Well, I assumed they were not fertile. The yolk was broken in all three so maybe it was handling by USPS.

So, now in the hatcher I have:
    6 Blue Orp/Buff Brahma
    2 Barred Plymouth Rock
    2 Barred Rock/Rhode Isl Red
    2 Ameraucana (chicks will be blue or black)
    all from Speckledhen (who has been wonderful answering my questions!)
    and 7 Millie Fluer's from Melinda.

I just removed the automatic turner and increased the humidity. I have tried to candle and can never see anything move or really anything but black and an air sack. I need a stronger light.

Anyway, once I closed the bator up and started watching the humidity rise I saw three of the eggs moving around! The three I saw moving are three of the Blue Orp/Buff Brahma's.

Temp is 99.4 and humidity is 78%. Now for the long wait...... I sure hope I get a good hatch this time!

Last edited: Nov 13, 2007
  2. Heidi

Heidi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2007
    Northwest Michigan
    Everyone will be sitting here in suspense waiting, waiting for your chickies to hatch. [​IMG]

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Jay, I'm not in the least surprised that Caroline's eggs are the ones moving, LOL. Those are strong babies! Hope you have a wonderful hatch and it's been a pleasure helping you along the way.

4. jackiedon

jackiedon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Central Arkansas
    Good Luck!!! Keep us posted.

jackie

5. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    Enjoy every molment. Leave a pot of coffee on 24/7.
    And post pics

6. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    Good Luck with your hatch

7. skeeter9

skeeter9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sounds like you're going to have some beauties!!! Good luck with yur hatch!!!

Lori

8. JenniferJoIN

JenniferJoIN Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2007
    Southern Indiana
    You guys are getting on my nerves with all your hatching babies!! I want some!!! [​IMG]

hee hee. Since I can't hatch out my own, at least post good pictures!! [​IMG]

9. ZuniBee

May 8, 2007
    Zuni, Virginia
    Today is day 20. Two of the Blue Orp/Buff Brahma's have pipped! These are not the two I saw moving so now I'm really getting excited. I took a pic but the pips are so small you can't really see it.

10. ZuniBee

May 8, 2007
    Zuni, Virginia
    I just took a peek before leaving for work and one more Blue Orp/Buff Brahma pipped. I'm coming home early today so hopefully there will be cute little chicks when I get back!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by