My turn for Pullet or Roo?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Luke13:34, Sep 30, 2010.

1. Luke13:34

Luke13:34 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2010
    The Naugatuck Valley
    OK.. all my babies hatched on the same day, but Ursula (aka "Gigantor") started growing much faster than the others and is now much larger, although the Welsummers are starting to catch up.

I've not heard any crowing. S/He does stand off and "guard" the rest of the chickens when I put treats out for them - is that "rooster" behavior?

So.. at 5.5 weeks, can anyone tell me if Ursula, the white Easter Egger is a pullet or roo?

[​IMG]
    The white one in the back.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    It's hard to tell in the pic, but the comb is pinker, but not necessarily bigger than the other chicken's combs.

[​IMG]

2. boykin2010

boykin2010 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2010
    South Georgia
    hold her by her neck ( still letting her breathe and not causing any pain) if her legs dangle or only move a little its a girl if it kicks and they wont stay straight it is a boy.
    this trick really works i use it to sex day old chicks to full grown chickens if i cant tell

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    She doesn't look like a roo to me right now. With easter eggers you sometimes have to wait awhile to be sure.

Something to keep in mind. In flocks without a roo, one of the hens has to take the guardian position and will exhibit behaviors you'd normally expect from a roo.

4. txcarl1258

txcarl1258 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2010
    Pleasanton
    I'd say its a girl.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by