My turn to ask?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Imp, Jul 2, 2011.

1. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

My 3 new chickens are now 3 months old. All is going well, except integration. But I'm not sure if one may be a roo. I have never had a roo, so I'm unsure. Here are the pictures:
    Any help will be appreciated.
    Bird in question is an EE.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here's my other EE. I believe it is a she. They are the same age, same size & color comb, same legs, virtually identical except for the tail.

[​IMG]

And just for fun. Here's my sicilian buttercup. I also believe it is a she.

[​IMG]

Thank you,

Imp

2. N&MSchroeder

N&MSchroeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2011
    SE Idaho
    I can't tell the redness of the comb because of the flash in your first picture. Usually, an EE rooster's pea comb will have 3 equally raised rows. Females will have a raised center row with smaller rows on each side. [​IMG] Your other chicks look like pullets. [​IMG]

3. AccentOnHakes

AccentOnHakes Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2009
    Even though that color is more common in pullets, I'm going to say ROO. The comb doesn't appear that red, but there is a very looong tail feather, and I think I'm seeing saddle feathers. Also, the two EE's have very different tail shapes; the second one is a pullet for sure.

4. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Dang. I am in doubt on the EEs, all of mine have been pretty slow to declare themselves. I "think" I see saddle and hackle feathers developing on both EEs. The second might be a pullet, but "she" does make it a bit iffy.

Are you going to murderate me if I tell you I think they're both EE cockerals? The pretty Buttercup is really not clear to me, I've never raised them.

Final Answer: Cockeral, cockeral, pullet. (sue me later.) [​IMG]

5. Imp

N&MSchroeder :

I can't tell the redness of the comb because of the flash in your first picture. Usually, an EE rooster's pea comb will have 3 equally raised rows. Females will have a raised center row with smaller rows on each side. [​IMG] Your other chicks look like pullets. [​IMG]

Thank you. I just ran out and checked the combs. They are a little different, but both have a higher raised center. The pullet's is more bumpy, and the one in question is smoother.

Imp​

6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Congrats Imp. You have your first roo! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

ETA: The second might be a pullet, but "she" does make it a bit iffy.
    What Ranchy said is true as well.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2011
  7. Jferlisi

Jferlisi i dont eat chicken!!!!

Nov 2, 2010
    Menifee CA
    I'm with ranch on this one. The EE's are Cockerels and buttercup is a pullet.
    ETS: both of my EE's look like they have saddle feathers but there's are wider. Yours are both thinner.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2011
  8. Imp

Quote:Yeah that tail feather worried me when it showed up.

Thanks

Imp

9. Imp

Quote:No muderating or sueing. Will just ship them to Gritty.

Imp

10. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Combs can lie, saddle feathers rarely do. Base it on comb alone and you'll be wrong about 50% of the time. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by