My turn! What age and breed please!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Dobela, Apr 4, 2011.

1. Dobela

Dobela Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2011
    Arkansas
    These were bought last Wednesday at Atwoods. I have no idea of age or breed possibility. Yep, I am a newbie and my parents helped my kids pick these out so I was really confused by the time it was over LOL. Pictures were taken yesterday.

#1 Have no idea. It had wing feathers when picked out. Son picked it because it was different. It is the most skittish. Supposedly a sex linked pullet of some sort.
    [​IMG]

#2 straight run from the banty bin. Remains by far the smallest chick and last to grow any feathers.
    [​IMG]

#3 another straight run Banty from the same bin as #2. Head had several black spots on top that have mostly disappeared in the last day or so. No feathers Wednesday, now has some on wings.
    [​IMG]

#4 I have 3 of these. 2 are from the sex linked pullet bin, one is half the size and from the straight run banty bin. All have the exact same markings. The banty had no feathers Wednesday but now has several wing feathers.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#5 Supposedly a pulet from a sex linked bin. By far the largest chick, and has had lots of feathers from beginning. Is now twice as tall as the other chicks such as #1 and #4. All of the fethers have lots of brown in them as well, although it didn't photo well. [​IMG]

#6 Also have another black chick that resembles #5 but without the brown in as many feathers. I couldn't get a good picture though. [​IMG]

#7 another misc black chicken, not a banty. Supposedly from the black sex linked pullet bin as well.
    [​IMG]

Thank you so very much!

2. a123andpoof

a123andpoof Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    I think the last 3 are all black sex links. I have one with the brown to, but think its still black sex link not totally sure though. But have about 15 with all 3 variations of those 3.

3. madgabmomma

madgabmomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2011
    SE Texas
    Does the 2nd one have feathered feet? I have one that looks just like that that I got from the straight run bantam bin too and it's also the smallest, no feathers yet and has feathered feet. I was wondering what kind it is too. I hope you get some good feedback on this. I'm fairly new to chicken raising so I'm not much help.

4. Dobela

Feb 4, 2011
    Arkansas
    #2 does not have feathered feet. I wish it did though...

Thanks for the ideas so far. I am really interested in determining age. I don't know how to do that yet and I know I will need to know that at some point in the future so I can let them out, change feed...

5. Dobela

Feb 4, 2011
    Arkansas
    anyone else? I would appreciate the help.

6. schellie69

schellie69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
    I would say just a bout a week old they where shipped as day olds so it they where a day or two old when picked last Wed that means they are just a week old. The 3 chipmunk chicks will have to wait until they feather out to guess breed there are to many chicks that look like that I have 2 brown leghorns that look like that. The last three are black sex link with just a different amount of red showing through I had one that had a lot of red showing and one that only had a little. They end up looking really pretty I am not on the bantams

7. Dobela

Feb 4, 2011
    Arkansas
    Quote:Thank you. That helps. The larger black ones are older. How much older are they? I assume that more experienced people can tell by the feather growth.

8. Minniechickmama

Minniechickmama Senora Pollo Loco

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    #3 looks to be a Silver Sebright.
    #4 Easter Egger. The coloring on the feathers coming in are not distinctive to a true breed I would recognize, but it is a pullet.
    5 and 6 look like cockerels to me, especially 5. The comb, the stance, the block shape of the wings all say boy to me. I also see some Gold Lacing on him. Not sure what breed though.
    7 does appear to be a BSL pullet.
    Sorry, not sure on the first two without knowing what Atwoods has to sell. #1 is a pullet, maybe a Game? Second one, I don't see its comb or for sure what its leg color is

9. schellie69

schellie69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
    Quote:Thank you. That helps. The larger black ones are older. How much older are they? I assume that more experienced people can tell by the feather growth.

I did notice that my sex link feathered in faster then the other 2 I had. I would guess maybe a few days older they might be close to 2 weeks old I they where black sex link pullets then all three will be pullets. I think they are to young to tell sex yet. I wouldn't even try and until 4-5 weeks.

10. ScaredOfShadows

ScaredOfShadows Chillin' With My Peeps

#1 looks like a golden seabright, which is a banty - looks about 3-4 weeks old
    #2 - no idea and it is young 10 days maybe?
    #3 - 10-14 day old range, - no idea looks like its coming in silver laced though silver laced wyandotte bantam? Silver seabright?
    #4 doesnt look like any sexlink I've seen...looks more like a leghorn or something - no idea
    #5-7 probably black sex links.

2, 3, 4 look about maybe 10 days old

1, 5, 6, 7 all look like they are 3 weeks definately older than the others

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by