my turner may not be working

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chickenlisa, Feb 12, 2009.

1. chickenlisa

chickenlisa Invincible Summer

Apr 9, 2007
    I just loaded up my bator with chicken eggs last night and I use the auto turner. I used it last year from Mar- Sept with no problems. I'm not positive, but the eggs seem to be in the same spot they were last night, and when I got up this morning, and all in between. I haven't seen them aimed in any other angle other than the one they are in now. What should I do? I've got 2 GQF Genesis 1588s and 2 of the auto turners. The 2nd one is starting up tonight.
    Will the eggs be hurt if they haven't turned at all yet? (tonight is end of day 1)
    Lisa

2. twigg

twigg Cooped up

Mar 2, 2008
    Tulsa
    Quote:Check the turner at 30 minute intervals for an hour or two.

If it's not working, and can't easily be fixed, disconnect the arm at the motor end, and turn manually. Just go from full one way, to full the other, five times a day if you can.

3. chickenlisa

Apr 9, 2007
    I called GQF and they are sending me a new motor. But in the meantime, I just turned them all 180 degrees in the turner still. And I"ll be watching them now for a few hours to see if they do turn at all automatically. If not, I'm taking that turner out and putting them in egg cartons- easier to tip the whole carton at once...what a pain though. I went this last year with a brand new turner too- my other one. Now this- do others have problems with the motors on them? She said to tap it...nothing I've ever hit has even started working because I hit it- now tapping might? I seriously think not! [​IMG]
    Lisa
    oh I get what you meant now after re reading it- I'll do that instead of the egg cartons- that's even easier! thanksssss!

Last edited: Feb 12, 2009
  4. twigg

twigg Cooped up

Mar 2, 2008
    Tulsa
    Quote:Actually ..... if you disconnect the motor arm, it is easier to turn them in the turner. Just move the now free arm, and they all will turn at once.

Ooops .... posted before reading the last bit [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 12, 2009
  5. daisychick

daisychick Incubator Tetris Master Consultant

Feb 8, 2009
    Colorado
    I can hear the motor on my turner it is a tiny little vibrating sound and that is how I know it is running. I would say a little tap might just work. Mine got "stuck" and I wiggled it a bit and it started right back up. It is worth a try.

6. chickenlisa

Apr 9, 2007
    ok- I'll go do that. Thanks
    I'm willing to try anything- I don't want to keep having problems with them.

7. chickenlisa

Apr 9, 2007
    Nothing- I didn't hear ticking in that one- just the other one. I tapped, wiggled and nothing changed. I'll watch the other one too to see if it turns (no eggs yet) and then maybe switch the eggs into that one til the motor gets here. or just disconnect this bad motor's arm like twigg said. So decisive, aren't I? I'm going to have my husband take these apart though and see if he can fix them- that's 2 bad motors in a year on 2 new turners.
    Lisa

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by