My two 4 month old roosters have pox. Please advise.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by emilysteng, Jan 27, 2011.

1. emilysteng

emilysteng Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2010
    Hawaii
    Hi,

I originally posted this in Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying, but seems like this is the better place for it. My two semi wild roos have pox.

I know there isn't a cure, but can treat the spots. I got iodine and listerine. The hatchery also suggested neosporin and this probiotic solution (called EM http://www.emhawaii.com/about-us/em-1-products.html )they gave me. When I swab some of the scabby stuff comes off. The thing that looks the worse is the ends of their combs. Is that also from the pox? The swollen yellow/white areas on tips of their comb?

They seem to really hate the listerine. It probably burns.

I was told this is the beginning stages of the problem? So should I expect it to get worse or start to get better? I don't see anything around their mouths. I understand the spots start out white/yellow, turn black, and then come off?

They are acting normal - hungry as ever. Scratching around, running around, etc. Bronty is starting to act more and more like a big boy rooster. Today he started doing that thing where he is trying to show someone some food on the ground. But I'm not sure who he thinks he's calling over.

Guess I am just worried about them. Thanks for everyone's help.

Here's Beyonce. Mostly ones on the comb and wattle.

[​IMG]

Here's Bronty. He has that one on his eye that looks bad.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    sorry your having to deal with this. if it's fowl pox you can use betadine watered down a bit to help dry it up. It doesn't look that bad actually and I know alot of people just leave it alone and let it dry up on it's own.. As long as they are eating and acting normal in every other way, they should be fine, I believe the wet pox is the one you have to watch out for.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by