My Two Beautiful Ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Sunnyducks, Jul 9, 2016.

1. Sunnyducks

Sunnyducks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2016
    I've had my two adult Khaki Campbell ducks since April. For the first two weeks they refused to eat anything at all, partly due to them having been fed on bread and some wheat and nothing else so they didn't approve of the fancy organic food I was trying to feed them! Thanks to the advice on here, we pulled through and now they are voracious eaters and love their organic mix. They've also got used to me - they no longer run from me, but actually come out to greet me. They free range in my backyard every day from about 9am til 6pm and generally have a wonderful life. I think they are responding to that and have become so friendly. She started laying just over a month ago and since then she has only missed one day - I love them so much![​IMG]

2. Welshies

Welshies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2016
    Alberta, Canada
    I don't think those are Khaki Campbell. They look very much like a cross, not even resembling a Khaki Campbell.

3. Sunnyducks

May 1, 2016
    Oh, really? Well that's interesting! I'm just a beginner, so I'm interested in what you say. So if they aren't Khaki Campbells, "I was had" as they say! Actually I believe the person who sold them to me probably did believe they were - she'd bought them from someone else, or so she told me. She had quite a few ducks, and some of the offspring of these have crossed with Runners which she also has, but these were her original pair. Anyway I had no reason to doubt her. When I saw the conditions they were kept in I almost backed away to be honest but then decided I couldn't leave them there for that reason. So I took them and didn't question that they weren't maybe what I thought they were. But hey, at the end of the day, I love them - they are sweet and gentle, friendly, funny, brilliant bug catchers and so far, fantastic egg layers. I guess it doesn't matter what they are - they fit with me, and they don't fly which was a really important thing for me and why I wanted Khaki Campbells in the first place so I guess I'm lucky there!

So what stood out most for you, and would you hazard a guess at what they might be, then? Again, it doesn't really matter but I'd like to have an idea. When I read your message I started Googling, and right enough, it seems KCs eggs are generally larger - my duck lays white eggs but they are pretty much all 58g. Thank you in advance. I feel a bit silly now, but hey ho, I still love them!

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    They sure are gorgeous love their colors..
    @Sunnyducks Welcome to BYC!!

5. Sunnyducks

May 1, 2016
    Thank you, Miss Lydia! I think they are utterly beautiful, and it doesn't matter to me what they are, apart, that is, from the feeling that someone took advantage of my ignorance! Caveat emptor, I guess! But I love 'em, mongrels or not!

6. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Look up Welsh Harliquin I am think they have some of this in them and they are very beautiful ducks..

7. Sunnyducks

May 1, 2016
    Goodness me, Miss Lydia, I see what you mean! I've Googled Welsh Harlequin.. mine don't fly, that's the only thing. Egg size seems to fit though. Thank you so much for your input.

8. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    It's awesome they don't fly and most domestics don't once mature if they do it's not far and can't get off the ground very high. I have Muscovy which fly great so i have to keep one wing on each of my girls clipped to keep them home they just love to take off and living up from a river and woods all around they would make a tasty meal for a pred. My drake would never leave his harem.

I have Runners and Buffs and they flap their wings and stand on their tip toes and that is it. lol Yay!!

Like you said what ever breeds they may have in them they are gorgeous and you love them that's all that matters. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by