My two broodies are hatching eggs-together!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by BrahmaMama, Jun 17, 2008.

1. BrahmaMama

BrahmaMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2008
    South Dakota
    Yep, I decided to leave them be-in the coop, and not seperate them into cages. I figured if they hatched, yay, if they gave up-which I figured at least one of them would, that's okay too. Of course, both of them pulled the distance, sometimes sharing the nest, sometimes taking over while the other got out to visit the facilities, stuff their face, etc.

One of the girls was one of my big fluffy butt Brahma hens. The other was my lone Speckled Sussex. I can't believe they both fit in there [​IMG]

So far, we have 4 chicks out, with another pipped. There should be 12 eggs left. I did take my Brahma girl out, so I could get a better look at the eggs-and only have to lift one butt up [​IMG] she went directly into another nesting hole, so I took two of the chicks, and put them in with her. I'm wondering now, if I should put all the chicks that have hatched so far, with her, and leave broody SS in, to sit on the rest of the eggs.

I can't believe this...I have about 23 laying hens, and two roosters, then there are the 5 older teenagers I hatched out in February, the Polish and D'uccles from Ideal in March (9 of them) then the 47 chicks-between a hatching I had in May, and another Ideal order that are in my smaller coop, and my turkey poults (6) with 3 dutch banties, in the brooder in my basement. Like I needed more chicks! [​IMG]

2. BrahmaMama

Jan 8, 2008
    South Dakota
    Wow, that uninteresting, huh? [​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. chickens4jojo

chickens4jojo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2008
    Upstate South Carolina
    That is cool about the two broody hens! I had some broody hens, but they got bored and the little eggs I bought on EBAY never had a chance. (THis was my first time trying a broody hen though!)
    I'd love to see some pics! How neat. [​IMG]

4. ibpboo

ibpboo Where Chickens Ride Horses

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    Hooray! [​IMG] Any more yet?

The other day two of my hens were in the nest together and they both laid an egg!

5. sara

sara Title Needed Here

That's great! I might give all the babies that have hatched to the hen you gave the two others too. Let the other hen continue on the eggs. That way they don't both leave the nest with the babies, with no one on the eggs. [​IMG]

6. BrahmaMama

Jan 8, 2008
    South Dakota
    Aw, that's a bummer, chickens4jojo. Even worse when you buy eggs, and have high hopes, huh! These were just my "mix" eggs, so I wasn't too worried. I will definitely get some pics, need to get my camera back out, haven't used it in....4 or 5 days, lol!

ibpboo, thanks [​IMG] Watch out, your girls will be next [​IMG] I think there were 6 this morning, but it was hard to count, with them ducking in and out from underneath mom [​IMG]

Sara, that's a good idea, I kinda wondered about that. Think I'll go out there now, and check on them.

7. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Quote:Never, I enjoyed the story. Too bad we don't have that column that counts the "looks" anymore, it would show you all the people that read your post.

8. LinckHillPoultry

LinckHillPoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    Wow! I've never had 2 chickens go broody with one another, but I have had a goose and a duck go broody and sit on the same nest together! [​IMG]

9. BrahmaMama

Jan 8, 2008
    South Dakota
    Quote:Never, I enjoyed the story. Too bad we don't have that column that counts the "looks" anymore, it would show you all the people that read your post.

Now that would be neat [​IMG]

LHP-that would be a cool thing to see, lol!

Wow, just now getting back to this thread....had unbelievable weekend, and now week, blah!

10. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    How are the duel broodies doing? Have all the eggs hatched?
    What do you plan on doing with all the new chickens you're going to have?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by