My two chickens both have injuries on the back of neck and white feathers

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by aggieangl01, Feb 22, 2017.

1. aggieangl01

aggieangl01 New Egg

Feb 21, 2017
    Morning!

I have one Rhode Island and one New Hampshire and we noticed wounds, loss of feathers and white wet stuff around the wounds. It looked at though they may have been pecking at eachother but I don't know why. They have been together for two years with no problems. I separated them last night and they are separated today. They free range, have a good sized coup, fresh water and food so I am not sure what is going on. Could this be something else? I have tow pics of my RIR. They New Hampshire has worse injuries than the RIR. Any help or advice would be appreciated![​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Hi[​IMG] Welcome To BYC

You noticed white wet stuff around the wound. Did the wounds bleed at all?

My first thought is if the feathers were wet, they have been attacked by a predator - raccoon, possum or dog/fox/coyote would possibly leave saliva - making feathers wet.

Flush any wounds that you see with saline, betadine or warm soapy water. Check the hens over well for any broken skin, puncture wounds, etc. Apply triple antibiotic ointment or vetericyn to any wounds that you find.

Examine your coop/housing for any openings, torn wire, etc. to see if a predator could have gotten in.

Keep us posted.

3. aggieangl01

aggieangl01 New Egg

Feb 21, 2017
    There wasn't blood but we thought it was odd that the feathers on both were turning white around the wound. You can see their skin on both wounds and it is very red. We have a dog that roams around with them and they have all been together for over two years so I wonder if my dog turned on them? They may have been fighting over something or she may have been antagonized. I don't think my dog would allow a predator in the yard so she would be the only predator.

Should I keep the chickens separate from each other until they heal? I was afraid they would pick at eachother.

4. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Are the wounds in the same place on both chickens?

To me if the wounds/feather loss is on the upper backs - that is a bit odd. Most feather picking that I have seen if usually at the vent (rear end) or around the throat/head.

Check them over well for any signs of lice/mites. Look to see if the feathers are actually plucked/pulled out or if any broken shafts remain.

5. aggieangl01

aggieangl01 New Egg

Feb 21, 2017
    Yes, they are both in the same place, behind the neck, almost where the neck attaches to the body.

I am going to check for lice when I get home and I bought some spray that was recommended to clean their wounds. Would they pick at themselves that severely if it was in fact mites or lice? You can see tissue!

Thank you for responding!

6. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    They can pick at themselves if they have a mite/lice infestation. I just fine it a bit odd that both have the feather loss in the same place. When you can watch them -especially at roosting time to see if they are picking at one another.

7. aggieangl01

aggieangl01 New Egg

Feb 21, 2017
    We are taking them to the vet today. We aren't real sure what it is and my NH has a really big gash so I want to make sure we are caring for that properly. Thank you for all your help!

8. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    I'm glad you are able to seek vet care. If you find out what's going on please post the results, I'm curious[​IMG]

9. aggieangl01

aggieangl01 New Egg

Feb 21, 2017
    The girls did it to each other. When they first saw her they thought it was a rooster but we don't have one. My husband forgot to let them out of their coup one day last week and I think it stressed them out and they turned on each other. Bet he won't do that again! She got a shot and some cream and he said she had already started healing. Thanks for all your help! It was quite the mystery!

10. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    I'm glad you figured it out.

Yes, being cooped up can cause quite a bit of stress and grumpy behavior.

Thank you for the update[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by