my two ducklings

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by phickle, Feb 16, 2014.

1. phickle

phickle Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2014
    near Tyler, TX
    [​IMG]

a group photo with our 2 ducklings. These were bought from the feed store as straight run, so they are both probably male, LOL. The right one is a white crested, we think, due to the puff on its head. They are enjoying some outside time in a makeshift run. There is a 250 watt heat lamp out of the picture on the left, I wanted them to have a warm spot to go to if needed. They are about 3 weeks old so far. I thought they had bald spots when looking at them inside, but once outside I can see that the yellow down is turning white. The left duckling is as yet unidentified, but has brownish markings which are slowly turning white also. They sure are clumsy, often standing on their own feet. These are the first ducklings I've ever raised, so this is a living experiment.

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    And they are with goslings?

3. phickle

Jan 27, 2014
    near Tyler, TX
    Yes they are, although I don't know how much longer that will last. They sleep all cuddled together, and they follow the goslings everywhere, even though the goslings walk all over them (literally), poop on them, and move them around when they walk. I did separate them once, and all 4 came unglued, so I put them back together and the commotion ceased instantly. The ducklings don't seem to be growing as fast as the goslings are, so I may end up splitting the flock in a few weeks.

4. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    You could try splitting the brooder with some plastic poultry fence so they can see each other, sleep next to each other, but the littles won't get stepped on.

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    X2 goslings grow so much faster than ducklings good advise Amiga has given.

6. phickle

Jan 27, 2014
    near Tyler, TX
    [​IMG]
    Mohawk and Duckie out in the tractor. I never removed them from the geese, they no longer get pushed around. Matter of fact, they seem to give as good as they get. 37 days old.
    [​IMG]
    The two newest in the storage room. Stuff, on left and Puff on right. Just over two weeks old.
    [​IMG]
    Good pic of my yellow turned white turning brown ducks.
    [​IMG]
    Duckie. I don't like this pic, it looks as if I'm smushing its face down.

[​IMG]
    Good look at Mohawks cotton ball.
    [​IMG]
    Stuff finally holding still.
    [​IMG]
    Puff looking to get away. Right after this, I spent about 25 minutes trying to recapture Puff in a crowded storage room. Not fun!

7. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by