My two Easter Eggers

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Spanishchick, Feb 21, 2014.

1. Spanishchick

Spanishchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2013
    GA
    My Coop
    I'm wondering, the Americana (spelling I know) is laying really light cream eggs, and the easter egger is laying really dark eggs but theyre brown. (If I have the right egg from the right chicken)
    I think hers should be olive.
    The easter egger (may have) just started laying unless it's my RIR.
    It's a brown egg but much richer not chocolate egg. My other RIR lays a deeper brown egg so it may be a RIR egg?

My question if your confused by now :D is do they change color later?

Last edited: Feb 22, 2014
  2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    A hen will lay the same color egg her whole life, but the shade may lighten or darken depending on where they are in their laying cycle. So if your Easter Eggers are laying brown, they will continue to do so. EEs are mixes that can lay any color egg, though most hatchery EEs do lay green/blue, I've gotten from 10-50% in orders from different hatcheries that laid brown. Ameraucanas are an actual breed that has a written standard and should lay blue eggs. The Ameraucana club has a nice article on the differences http://www.ameraucana.org/faq.html#TWO

1 person likes this.
  3. Spanishchick

Nov 29, 2013
    GA
    My Coop
    Interesting, the Americana's eggs are cream.........I don't think they'll ever turn blue. At first I thought this breed was strange but now I think I like them the most.

4. Spanishchick

Nov 29, 2013
    GA
    My Coop
    Here is my mut. Lol [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by