My two little chicks won't stop sneezing

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Spoiltchickens, Sep 28, 2011.

1. Spoiltchickens

Spoiltchickens Out Of The Brooder

Sep 28, 2011
    I have two baby Barnevelda chicks (4weeks old) that can't stop sneezing.
    One of them has even had a runny nose. Is there anything I can do to help stop the sneezing for them?

2. PtldChick

PtldChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Portland, OR
    Sounds like a respiratory infection. Treat them with an antibiotic like tylan 50, denegard or tetracycline. These should be available at your local feed store.

3. Spoiltchickens

Sep 28, 2011
    Thanks [​IMG]
    Should any feed store have these products or do I need to go to a vet?
    I'm in Queensland. Australia

4. Ozchicken

Ozchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    Queensland, Australia
    Hi, In Australia Tylan is prescription only so would require a vet consultation. Another alternative a vet may prescribe is Baytril.

You can buy Tetracycline products from your local produce store although they are not as effective as the prescription products here, probably due to resistance. Produce stores might have products like Oxymav B, Triple C, or other Tetracycline type products.

Keep them warm and stress-free to support their immune system. Make sure their litter is completely dry and clean to ensure they don't pick up coccidiosis while they are fighting off the respiratory infection.

5. Spoiltchickens

Sep 28, 2011
    Ok. Thank you so much, that makes me feel heaps better. I took them to the vet and he has prescribed them Baytril25.
    0.1ml twice a day each chick for 7 days. How long do these infection take to get over?

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:Unfortunately they dont. Antibiotics such as baytril will treat the symptoms but wont cure the disease. Your birds may look fine after treatment in a few days, but any type of stressful event can trigger the symptoms again. They will remain carriers for life and can spread the disease to other birds. You'll have to maintain a closed flock if you decide not to cull them. You cant introduce new birds nor sell or giveaway birds, they'll be spreading the disease. You cant sell nor give away eggs for hatching purposes, some diseases are passed through the eggs as well. Sooner or later the baytril will have no effect in controling the symptoms because the disease will have built up resistance to it. If you decide to keep the birds and maintain a closed flock, I recommend that you treat them with denagard. There is no resistance to it and no withdrawal. Type "denagard" in the BYC search box if you wish and read up on it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by