1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My Two Month Silkie Hates Being Touch?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by WildCochinReba, Jul 2, 2016.

1. WildCochinReba

WildCochinReba Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2016
    My silkie will stand by me, peck my fingers for treats, and comes up to me but when I touch him/her she/he does a panic chirp and runs away. Anyone know why? I had him/her since she/he was two weeks old.

2. mpmb1227

mpmb1227 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2015
    Stanwood, Washington
    Some chickens may not like being held/pet, no matter how young they were when you got them, although the younger the better the chances are if you handle them often.

3. crash0330

crash0330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Mecca, CA
    My Coop
    Even though some breeds are friendlier and calmer then other, we must not forget that chickens are individuals and have their own little personalities of their own, some will not like being touched, other are way too affectionate. it all depends on each one of them. But like mentioned above, constant interaction with them will certainly help a lot.

4. ChickenKeep01

ChickenKeep01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2016
    Australia
    they might not being held or touched my about 20 week olds hate being held yet they still follow me around its normal

5. Flock Leader

Flock Leader Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2012
    Israel
    Our Silkies were the same way. What we used to do was catch them (gently), hold them in our lap and feed them treats while holding them. It really helped make them tamer!

6. JaeG

JaeG Overrun With Chickens

Sep 29, 2014
    New Zealand
    Pullets can also be quite scatty until they start laying. I bought a booted bantam pullet and was worried she wouldn't bond with us as she was 12 weeks old. She was a bit shy but not scared of us. Once she started laying she became our best friend. She loves being patted, is very chatty, and let's the kids pick her up for a cuddle. Hopefully your little girl will come round.

7. WildCochinReba

Apr 30, 2016
    Thank you! I was able to touch him/her without screaming but he/she still backs away but it's a start! :D

8. WildCochinReba

Apr 30, 2016
    UPDATE: My silkie likes me now! She/he has been laying on my lap and letting me pet him/her!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by