My two new kids are finally home...

Chirpy

Balderdash
15 Years
May 24, 2007
Colorado
I've wanted goats for so long (years and years and years and, well, you get it) and finally was able to get two little female Nigerian Dwarfs this spring. They just came home over the weekend. I'm so excited!

Here's a couple of pictures:

IMG_3172.jpg

IMG_3163.jpg

They are getting used to their new home, new digs, new friends (the chickens they share the run with) and everything else that's brand new in their lives ... which is ... everything!

How old are they? I get my 2 Nigerian Dwarf does around July 11th when they're 8 weeks old. I want to know so I can figure how big they'll be at 8 weeks so I know how much room they need in my vehicle.

Trisha - They are eight weeks old! The larger one was one of twins and the smaller one is one of quads - that's where the size difference comes in. They are actually only two days apart in age.

You are going to love them!

I bet you're having as hard of time waiting for yours as I did! I was first on a waiting list and got called from the breeder when they were just a few days old to go see and pick out the ones I wanted. Then I had to wait eight weeks to bring them home!! It was awful ... the time barely crept by.

I want toggenburgs ! I am jealous my mom won't let me have goats so I told her I was going to be living in a modified garden shed out in the country some where because I will spend all the $ on land and goats and chickens and veggies. I really am intrested in being a sustainable farmer.

Henry

Quote:
I just gotta warn you....when we brought our first babies home, we just snuggled them up in the front of the truck with us (they were only 3 weeks old, though, itty bitty bottle babies!). It was a 2-ish hour ride home. We got about halfway home when the floodgates opened and our little doe peed all over me!
lol.png
As my husband was laughing (that is, making fun of me for getting peed on) our little wether peed all over him. Then, as if right on cue, they both pooped all over, too.
lau.gif
It's still funny, but--I might recommend putting them in a dog crate. They would both fit in a large crate at that age.

ETA: Chirpy, they are soooo cute!!! Congrats on the new goaties. Have fun with them, they're just the sweetest little critters!

Last edited:
Crunchie - I've heard that same type of thing happening to others who brought theirs home in their car. So we used a dog kennel (airline crate) and brought them home in that. They seemed very relaxed and sat there very comfortably for our ride home. I put a piece of cardboard in the bottom and then covered that with a layer of fresh straw.

Quote:
I just gotta warn you....when we brought our first babies home, we just snuggled them up in the front of the truck with us (they were only 3 weeks old, though, itty bitty bottle babies!). It was a 2-ish hour ride home. We got about halfway home when the floodgates opened and our little doe peed all over me!
lol.png
As my husband was laughing (that is, making fun of me for getting peed on) our little wether peed all over him. Then, as if right on cue, they both pooped all over, too.
lau.gif
It's still funny, but--I might recommend putting them in a dog crate. They would both fit in a large crate at that age.

ETA: Chirpy, they are soooo cute!!! Congrats on the new goaties. Have fun with them, they're just the sweetest little critters!

Oh sorry. What I meant in my post was, how big are they so I know how big of a crate I need. I have a crate that's sized for a medium sized dog and I didn't know if that was big enough. The breeder said it should be but IDK. We have to drive 2.5 hours to get them and I would never dream of having them loose in the car. I'd be so nervous I'd wreck. LOL

I think my babies are from a set of triples. I'm getting the 2 black and white does on the bottom right of this page:
http://hometown.aol.com/buffalocreek2/NigerianSale.html

Chirpy, how tall are they? Well, how tall is the taller one?

Back
Top Bottom