My two weirdos

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by oktx, Dec 4, 2012.

1. oktx

oktx Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2012
    I have had two bantam hens for a couple months now. One is about 6 months and the other just over a year. Neither is laying. They also never want to leave the "house" part of their coop and I have to lock them out every morning or they will stay in there all day. They get layena 16% layer pellets and I move the tractor to new grass to forage about every 2 weeks. Any suggestions or ideas of what I'm doing wrong?

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Do you have pics of them?

3. maidenwolfx80

maidenwolfx80 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2012
    missouri
    They need to learn thei rnew home. It is very stressful for them. They may stay in the coop area because they feel safe there and they may be trying to figure out the best place to lay. Most wont lay if they are too stressed and dont feel safe. I would not lock them out of the coop area, that is putting more stress on them.

4. oktx

Jul 2, 2012
    I have some pics of them in their temporary coop before I moved them to the bigger coop.
    [​IMG]
    Here is a pic of the coop I moved them into. I made it for a quail coop but the quail don't like it so I cleaned it and got the chickens.
    [​IMG]
    By the way, I've added 1/2" wire all around the bottom 8" since this picture was taken. We had some rat issues when it was over closer to the fence. Haven't had any problems since moving the coops and reinforcing them.

5. maidenwolfx80

Jul 26, 2012
    missouri
    The coop looks nice. They really just need time to get used to being in a new place. Adding more stress will only further delay the process.

6. oktx

Jul 2, 2012
    OK, thanks. I was just worried that something was wrong. I'll just let them come out to wander when they feel comfortable with it then. They do come downstairs at dawn every day to graze, eat and drink and sometimes at dusk too.

7. maidenwolfx80

Jul 26, 2012
    missouri
    Good, they will get the hang of it all soon.

8. oktx

Jul 2, 2012
    I've been letting them out to free range (while I'm out watching them) for a half hour to an hour a day for the past month or so when the weather's good enough. Started getting eggs about 2 weeks ago from one and now we are getting an egg a day from them both. They are both getting to be super friendly and will sometimes let me pet them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by