My Ugly chick and it's weekly progress

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by pw_quiltworks, Jan 22, 2010.

1. pw_quiltworks

pw_quiltworks One Handy Chick

Jan 7, 2009
    Maine
    This is ugly. She was born on1/1/2010. The black copper marans were born 1/15/2010. I had to put her in with them because she is not doing well with the other chicks. She is almost the same size as the new borns. Her neck is longer and legs but the body is almost the same size. I have a couple of pictures so you can see how very tiny she is. She should be twice that size by now. Course she is a silky frizzle mix called sizzle. I plan to keep a weekly journal here with pictures as she grows. If she grows.

This is her with the new chicks:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

1-17-2010
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Week two with the new chicks. I do notice a little change. She is getting more feathers around her bottom. I think she is going to be ok. She did grow a little. The little black copper marans babies love her. They all flock to her when I feed and water them. She's so cute. She will peck me a little if I pick one up to check on their progress. She is just way too protective at this age. I wonder what she will be like in a couple of months from now. [​IMG] She will probably rip my finger off.

1-22-2010

1-29-2010: She is starting to grow feathers now. She looks a lot better than the first week. The frizzle is 5 weeks old and the black copper maran is 2 weeks old. They are the same size now. Next week the bcm will be bigger. I hope you will open the last picture up and see how silly she looks. [​IMG]

2-5-2010
    She is looking pretty good this week. A lot more feathering. She is starting to look like a chicken with a Mohawk. She has a very large beak. Not at all attractive. She looks a little like a cross between Mr.T and Jimmy Durante. [​IMG] I do call it a her but I have my doubts.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 5, 2010
  2. One Acre Wonder Farm

One Acre Wonder Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2009
    Vermont
    [​IMG]

she is unique! She's the kind of chick who steals hearts [​IMG]

keep posting pics! I'd love to see more updates!

3. save the favs

save the favs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    Oregon
    Maybe the peck is just to get your attention to pick her up. How perfect that the marans love her. I predict she will be your most loved & beautiful one in the flock, better get her a new name. Possitive thinking goes a long way.

4. pw_quiltworks

Jan 7, 2009
    Maine
    Quote:When she get's all her feathers I will rename here swan. I just can't believe how bad she looks. She is bare. Real bare.

5. save the favs

save the favs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    Oregon
    Will be following her progress! I have to say, my eyebrows did raise when I scrolled down to see her picture. I always like the funny ones the most.

In the 1980's we had a mixed flock of standard sizes & in one of the groups of layers that we purchased locally there was this very odd chicken. We thought something was wrong with her, as the feathers were backwards looking. We asked everyone that came by about what was wrong with her with no answers. Well, about a year or so later we found out that she was a frizzle. Ooops!

6. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

[​IMG] She looks like something the cats drug home... But she's [​IMG] too!!!

7. pw_quiltworks

Jan 7, 2009
    Maine
    She's a lot worse looking in person. I have not seen anything like it. Awful. Bare skin. Lots of it. I have one of those rumpless chickens. Thought that was the oddest thing I had ever seen but she has nothing on this one. We just love the rumpless hen and she is our best layer. Every day I get a little brown egg from her. She looks so funny when she runs. Like a banjo with legs. [​IMG]

8. Lunachick

Lunachick Chicken Slave

Mar 19, 2007
    Brick, NJ
    I think she's beautiful. [​IMG]

9. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    OMG she is just too cute...definitely post weekly on her...you might start a new rage! I love her already!!

10. sherrybwc

sherrybwc Out Of The Brooder

Jul 4, 2009
    Alabama
    You know, these are the ones you love the most, though...at least I do anyway.

I'll be pulling for her!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by