My under $100 pvc less than 30 lb 10'X5'x5' chicken tractor coop.

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by foulman007, Jul 5, 2011.

1. foulman007

foulman007 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2010
    Columbia SC
    Well after my goats got out and destroyed my old coop. I decided to build a simpler moveable coop.
    Step #1
    get rid of the darn goats.
    Step #2
    go to lowes and get some pvc pipe. I chose the lighter weight 1 1/4 " 10' pipe. I need 75 feet for my project so I got 8 of them.also 8 1 1/4 t's and 8 1 11/4 90 deg elbows. I wanted a door ,which depending on your needs can be omitted. for this I got 2 10' peices of 1 inch and 4 90 deg elbows. since my yard is fenced like a fortress I went with a lightweight bird netting comes in a 7' x 100' roll for 20 bucks. I 5/4 x 6" 10 foot treated board and a packet of 8" zip ties 100 ct.
    [​IMG]

Step #3
    Cutting the pieces. as follows 8 x 4'9" 1 1/4" pipe
    8 X 3" 1 1/4" pipe
    1 x 5' 1 3/4" 1 1//4 pipe
    to be assembled as below
    [​IMG]

Step #4 the frame work
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Step #5 cut the 5/4" X 6" board into to 5' lengths and attach to the lower part of the frame you can just do this with pvc and 4 more t's but I wanted it to be a bit stronger
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Step #6 zip tie the netting.
    I started at the base of one of the 5' sides went over the top and down the other side and stapled it to the under side of the wood. Then did the back and the front

Step #7 the door
    have a 3' x 5' opening so made the following cuts to allow a bit of play
    2 x 2' 9" 1' pipe
    2x 4' 8 1/2"
    then assembled them with the 90 deg elbows and zippe on the netting
    I hung the door by drilling 1/4" holes in the 1 1/4" left upright. two by the top and two near the bottom to act as hinges second pic below. I added a third ziptie to the elbows to take some of the weight of tthe door

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Step # 8 done
    I will add some wheels to one end to allow me to roll it where I need it but for now my wife can lift the other end easily.
    once set in the yard it is nearly invisable Ill add their boxes and perches and will have happy contained chickens again...
    [​IMG]

finished image in the yard

2. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Thank you for posting,

I think that is very cool. Now I think I need one. lol
    :O)

3. pawsplus

pawsplus Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2008
    Middle TN
    Great idea! You're not leaving them out in that at night though, are you??

4. wava1vaughn

wava1vaughn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2011
    Cairo Ga.
    Hi from Ga. Cool [​IMG] Great idea. [​IMG]

5. foulman007

Dec 29, 2010
    Columbia SC
    Quote:yeah but I have no I mean no preadators, between my very well behaved dogs and 2 alpacas and 7 emus the mail man doesnt even come in the yard. There is also a large chicken nesting box that I havent moved in to it yet.

6. pawsplus

Dec 18, 2008
    Middle TN
    Quote:Well, you're taking a real risk IMO. There are raccoons everywhere, whether you have seen them or not, and they will not even slow down going through this netting. Ditto chicken wire. I honestly wouldn't trust this netting even just during the day, but certainly not at night. They're your chickens, but IMO you're probably going to regret this choice. [​IMG]

All other things aside, don't they have anyplace high to roost? Someplace to get out of the rain/sun?

7. pawsplus

Dec 18, 2008
    Middle TN
    I see that you say you'll be adding in perches, but I doubt that the birds will feel safe roosting out in the open like that. Can you not make a safe, predator-proof coop that you can attach to this run so they can go inside, roost, and be protected at night?

8. iBoodle

iBoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2011
    Idaho
    I agree- I didn't even think about rats or racoons when I put my chickens away in their coop for the night- but something still got them, and ate their toes! Never underestimate predators; especially at night!

But that is a great run, and I may look into it to add to the side of my coop!

Becca

9. foulman007

Dec 29, 2010
    Columbia SC
    No I agree this won't work for anyone ..like it is but if you would take the time to read my post I think I covered that.
    Anyway my current chicken stock . 5 freerange cornish rocks since they were 4 weeks old 6 laying hens of mutt breeds caged in a very ill fitting polutry netting (out in the morning to forrage in at dusk to roost) well over a year so far.
    I am in the city and fully barricaded from everything. Even let my ducks freerange.
    So let's make me feel less under attack for posting on this forum eh.

10. pawsplus

Dec 18, 2008
    Middle TN
    No one is attacking you. What is great about BYC is that the experience of hundreds, even thousands, of people is gathered here. And over and over folks have posted their regrets in not going the extra mile w/ predator proofing.

When I was initially working on my run, folks at another forum told me to add a hardware cloth apron. I tried to rationalize out of that--the chickens would be up at night so little risk of raccoons reaching through the chain link, etc. etc. I was finally convinced not to take the chance and I'm SO glad that I didn't.

It's important to realize that when we respond to your posts we're not just responding for your benefit -- we're also responding for the benefit of all the lurkers who may see your run and think, "That looks great" (which it does!). Unless someone points out the risks inherent with any type of wire less heavy-duty than welded wire or hardware cloth, those lurkers may go on and do something similar and come to grief.

I really wish you would reconsider, but of course it's up to you. Hopefully others who have not yet gotten this far, however, will take heed and plan for a more secure enclosure. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 5, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by