my underweight baby girl

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by rockabilly7, Dec 30, 2008.

1. rockabilly7

rockabilly7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    Florida panhandle
    one of my chickens eats all the time but hasnt gained ANY weight and i have no idea why all of my other girls are doing fine any ideas???

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Sometimes you get a little runt. They either will fail to thrive and eventually pass on or they will have a growth spirt and before you know it you can't tell the difference in them from the others. I had a little runt last spring and now she is one of my largest laying hens.

3. mypicklebird

mypicklebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    Sonoma Co, CA
    Quote:Your question does not have enough info-- all I can tell is you have chicken who eats alot, but has not gained weight-- have you picked her up and examined her closely?

How old (ie is this a chick, pullet, or adult), how long have you had it & where did it come from, what breed do you think she is (standard, banty, or mix), how small is she actually- has she grown at all, what do you feed, what do the droppings look like, does her beak look normal, is she actually eating- or does she just look like she is eating (this is important- feel her crop & compare to the others- is it empty/full/really full), is she actually skinny- ie feel her keel and compare to others- or is she just small, look for external parasites. Answer these questions, and we can give you a good guess on what is going on....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by