Jan 14, 2008
Sugar Land, TX
Almost done.
IMG_1613.jpg

Need to start making some nesting boxes
IMG_1614.jpg

Front view
IMG_1612.jpg

Front view showing the fricken-chickens at home.
IMG_1618.jpg

Looking good!

I have two birds with that black and white coloring. One is an EE and the other a brahma. By the looks of the pic that one is neither - but if it is the coloring you like, you can get it in various breeds. Is that a Columbian Wyandotte?

Gonzo,
What dimensions is that? How many birds? That is very similar to something I want to build this weekend. Looks good.

What kind of hinges did you use on the door?

Last edited:
Thanks for the kudos, all.

I work for an oil/gas company here in Houston and most of that lumber came from packing crates from the tools. That box is a dispatch oven crate! Yeah, I'm going as cheap as I can with this! The dimension of the crate is about 4.5' L X 3' W X 3' H. That said, the whole structure is based around 10' lengths of PT dimensional 2x4s. Roof is that scalloped plastic roofing from BORG (HD) for about $16 each (double over). I used 1/2" hardware cloth all around execpt for the temporary pvc framed door. I intend to make a self-closing door, but it might have a large stop in case someone gets in the way.

That black and white chicken? I honestly thought it was a BO since when I bought them, the seller was adamant about how hers were leftover from a batch from a local hatchery. I need to double check with some more pics to you guys. Also, still waiting to find out which ones are pullets and which are soup stock. I've calculated that I am coming up on week 16 or 17 for these guys.

It seems to be pretty fun now. The chickens originally didn't want to get into the coop, so each night I would shove all 10 in at a time. Now, when I get home around 6pm, and while there is some nice daylight out, I let them hit the weeds. When nightfall commences, they all run back into the coop like good nuggets should. All I do is dump out the droppings from the water and fill up some Start And Grow each day. Every other day, fresh water with some ACV. Every afternoon when I come home from lunch, I grab about two wally world bags of weeds and dandelions and dump it in the coop. Once in a while, I drop a 1/2 C of scratch.

Back
Top Bottom