My urban desert run

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Bosque, Aug 2, 2009.

1. Bosque

Bosque Songster

May 12, 2009
    Arizona
    [​IMG]

Here is a picture of my chicken run that I just built for my chickens. It is built out of 2x3 pine, 2x3 welded wire and a tin roof. I did not want my neighbors to see the run from the street, so I dug down into the earth about 8 inches. I'm 6' and can stand up inside the run without touching my head. Since my birds are a month old, I just built the run and will build the coop in a couple of months.
    There is a plastic tub in one end of the run with a stick through the middle of it for a temp coop.
    In the bottom of the run, I put in a layer of DE, then horse animal bedding then a thick layer of pine shavings. For the heat, I pour a bucket of water on the chips, then burry a couple of frozen 20 oz water bottles. Lastly, I put a box with a small entrance over top of the bottles. Today it was 104 and the birds were not even panting until 4PM. What do you think?

2. Sillystunt

Sillystunt Master of the Silly

Jul 11, 2008
    Winter Haven, FL
    cute! and smart about the digging down so the neighbors can't see [​IMG]

3. chaoschicken

chaoschicken Cackleberry Crazy

Jun 23, 2009
    Washington State
    Very nice.

Good idea about the frozen bottles.

4. Bosque

Bosque Songster

May 12, 2009
    Arizona
    Thanks. I cant take all o fthe credit for the water bottles. Someone on here posted a picture of a wiskey barrel where he put in shavings and frozen water botters. When I think about the old timers, they would cut ice from a lake, pack it in wood shavings or saw dust and keep it till the summer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: