My vacation stressed my girls, how long till they lay again?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by boyswillbeboys, Feb 19, 2014.

1. boyswillbeboys

boyswillbeboys Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2013
    Does anyone have experience with this? Before I left on vacation for a week, I was getting 18-22 eggs a day from my girls. I had a pet sitter come out every day, but there was an issue with the light and it was out 3 days. I arrived home late on Friday, and went out first thing Saturday morning, fixed the light and fed and watered them. There were 7 frozen eggs and 2 good eggs, one of the frozen ones was partially eaten. Since then I have gotten 1-2 eggs a day, and none of those from my leghorns. It's been nice since I've been back and I've been feeding and watering twice a day, as usual (she was instructed to water twice as much as I do at a time as I knew she would only be out once a day, there was one empty water jug, one 1/8 full and frozen and 2 containers of ice in the coop when I arrived home. I watered them late in the evening one night and found the water left over had frozen by morning.

I'm 90% sure it is stress from me being gone and the light issue that has caused this, but I'm wondering how long until things should pick back up? I was selling some eggs before I left to a lady in town, and with this kind of production I may have to buy eggs myself before long.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2014
  2. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    Expect as much time as you were gone.

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I'd say at least a week or two. With them being used to light, then having it go out would be a big stress, as is not having access to water. Depending on their ages, the stress could force them into a molt.

4. boyswillbeboys

boyswillbeboys Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2013
    They are still under a year, I got them as day olds in June 2013. I think now they have started to molt, I went in this morning, and found a bunch of white feathers scattered throughout the coop, from my leghorns. I brought out 2 cups of BOSS this morning, when I went to feed them, as a friend who also has chickens suggested it sounded like a molt. She gave me advice to bring them out of it, that involved withholding feed, but I don't like that idea at all, I'll go the extra protuen method

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by