My VARIANCE Approved!!! Town of Fallsburg, NY

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances (and how to change' started by Mzyla, Aug 20, 2010.

1. Mzyla

Mzyla Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Upstate NY
    I like to share my good news: I win the Variance! My chickens are now legal!
    And all 15 of them! And even my goose!
    I went there dressed up respectfully, in a tight black dress, showing some legs…haha

I thought that Council members would be some “morons” as somebody put it on here, but luckily for me, they were elder gentlemen with farming background and obviously with some compassion for animals. I liked them all and I think they like me too…or rather my speech, because in the end, they say; “We thank you and we agree with the things you said”

I was expecting, that maybe they allow me 5-6 of them.
    Most to my surprise and joy; they say; “give her the farm”

The Restriction:

They have to be “CONFINED” within my property.
    They CANNOT cross my property line into the neighbor and NO Roosters.

Thanks to numerous folks from internet, from this site and from other “chicken blogs” I gathered my ideas for the speech.
    I like to thank one special lady from this site, but I cannot find her topic [​IMG]
    She was the one who posted on here her speech and several of you guys were correcting and polishing her wording.
    She also posted excellent link to Sharon Astyk articles.

I spoke for about 20-30 minutes…6 pages…my tong was dry [​IMG]

And I had to stand all the time…

I spoke about how demand for chicks is increasing, about right to farm, how municipalities cross country are allowing yard chickens, that Martha Stewart and even president have chickens…

About ridiculous of neighbors having power to decide what I can or cannot have, about economic times, liberty, freedom and happiness…

Council members asked the public: Anybody have questions? Any objections?

It was silence, nobody spoke.

If anybody wants to see the whole speech and perhaps use it for your Variances, I can send it in private Email.
    After all, it was unified work of many people from here.

Maria

2. nonseq

nonseq Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2009
    Central Ohio
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Congratulations!

3. CubRed

CubRed Out Of The Brooder

Jan 21, 2010
    CONGRATS!!!

we need more "same" stories!

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

WAY TO GO, Maria!!!!!!!!!!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. littlethorn

littlethorn Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2009
    Northern California
    Congratulations! Props to you for fighting for your rights to decide what you want to do with your own property! [​IMG]

6. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    [​IMG] Good for you!!!! I would LOVE to read your entire speech! Congratulations!!

Last edited: Aug 22, 2010
  7. Mzyla

Mzyla Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Upstate NY
    Thanks folks!

I promise you, I will send it immediately to each and everyone whoever asks me.

The whole 6 pages are not suitable for posting publicly, because in many parts, there are things relevant only to my individual situation; about my neighbors, he says, she says....etc...

Any how, I was told that if any of my chickens should die (or be eaten); I can replace them with new ones
    to maintain 15 heads [​IMG]

In that case, since my hens are getting old and perhaps they will die from old age soon, I think it's time to set some eggs...
    I'm looking for 10-15 fertile eggs of any breed, any color, but CALM, FRIENDLY, SLOW chickens in nature, that let me pet them.

8. tasymo

tasymo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2008
    Mulliken
    Congratulations and a big GOOD JOB!!! It is so important for folks to press on when they run into resistance. Chickens are so worth the effort and you just never know, you might just WIN!![​IMG][​IMG]:celebrate

9. nonseq

nonseq Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2009
    Central Ohio
    I would like to see your whole speech.

10. GrandmaAnn

GrandmaAnn Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2010
    Wisconsin
    I am so happy for you. Congrats.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by