My vermin proof feed setup I made. (Pictures)

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Rockyriver, Mar 12, 2012.

1. Rockyriver

Rockyriver Out Of The Brooder

Feb 15, 2012
    N.C.
    Here is a metal garbage can holder I made to keep the pest out of my chicken food.
    Each container holds about 200LBS of food.
    The first has scratch in it and the second has laying pellets. The legs of the holder are 16 inches in the ground for extra safety. A metal chain or cable is next to hold the lids down, just as soon as I can figure a way to do it neat.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 12, 2012
  2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    Looks like you thought about all the ways a raccoon(etc) could get into a trash can.

3. ruralretreatchx

ruralretreatchx Out Of The Brooder

Mar 29, 2011
    Wonderful!!!!!

4. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Oh that is gorgeous. I have some of those in the garage on pallets. Yours is much prettier!

5. Nic&Chickies

Nic&Chickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2010
    New Britain, CT
    Thanks for posting this. We just reinforced the box/building where we keep our feed & scratch, with some thin sheet metal. SQUIRRELS have torn it up! They chewed through the door (after we blocked a vent hole they enlarged, with a prior piece of sheet metal) and chewed holes in the covers of the plastic buckets where we actually store the food. Two mornings in a row, a squirrel jumped [​IMG]out of the scratch bucket!

I hope that's the end of it, but I've been pricing metal pails and trash cans online, with the idea that I'll need to find another storage solution later.

I was thinking of attaching two bungee cords to both side handles, twisting them around the handle of the cover. Of course, bungee cords are chew-able, so I actually thought about those wire-like bicycle lock cables. Then, I see you are planning to use chain (or a cable similar to my idea) and you already have the eye-hooks (if that's the right term) I also thought about. It's almost surreal to see "my" ideas already thought out and implemented! [​IMG]

6. mad4horses

mad4horses Out Of The Brooder

Jan 8, 2012
    Verona, WI
    What a great way to secure your feed. Very nice.

7. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Very nice. :thumbsup

8. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    Good job! [​IMG]

9. 92Pony

92Pony Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2010
    South Carolina
    That looks stout! Also hurricane-proof? [​IMG][​IMG]

10. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    A broken freezer would have taken care of that squirrel or coons. But maybe not to deer or bears.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by