My very 1st chick is trying to hatch!!! (day 20 :)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by cluckers&quackers, Oct 20, 2008.

1. cluckers&quackers

cluckers&quackers Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2008
    Vermont
    My first chick is trying to hatch!!! It has made a small circle (hole) in the egg!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

This is my first time hatching and I am so excited!!! Well my second attempt, I borrowed an incubator and the 1st time all was well until the temp spiked way up on day 10 and killed them [​IMG]

This time I started with 27 eggs, (all pullet eggs as that is all I had) I picked the largest eggs and put them in the incubator. Early on I tossed 5 that had very definite blood rings and then later on 1 that had a developed chick that had died. On day 17 I had 20 eggs that I could see movement in and 1 I had been watching that I thought died, but on the morning of day 18 when I checked them 1 last time I could only find movement in 7 of them [​IMG] I left them all in the incubator just in case [​IMG] The one with the hole in it is 1 of the ones that I saw movement in the last time I checked them.

2. Chicabee19

Chicabee19 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    n/a
    Good news! Here's hoping everything goes well over the next few days! [​IMG]

3. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    AHHHHH!!! You gotta be soooo excited!!! I think the hole is called a 'pip' BTW, I can't wait till I get to try hatching!!!

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Congrats! Now tie those hands back and step away from the bator. The LAST thing you want to do is open it or try to "help". Nature will do it's thing.

5. UrbanMama

UrbanMama Gone Country....

Sep 27, 2008
    Massachusetts
    [​IMG]

and

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. cluckers&quackers

cluckers&quackers Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2008
    Vermont
    I'm not touching it [​IMG] I am VERY impatiently waiting [​IMG] My husband thinks I am crazy now, he called to let me know he is on his way home from work, and I was worse than a kid!! I told him "my chickie is hatching, my chickie is hatching!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by