My very first chicks!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by DomesticDiva12, Mar 13, 2012.

1. DomesticDiva12

DomesticDiva12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2012
    Wisconsin
    [​IMG] I'm new, mom to 4 kids and 6 brand new baby chicks. I got the chicks at Tractor Supply yesterday, 2 red pullets and 4 straight run buff orpingtons. Ideally I'd like to end up with 6 hens, so I got the pullets to be sure that I at least had SOME females LOL but the breed I really wanted was the orpingtons. I've seen some discussion on feather sexing, want to make some guesses?
    Chick 1 (okay, so I can't tell them apart but I did make sure I was grabbing different birds for the pictures LOL ) this one is one I'm iffy about
    [​IMG]
    Chick 2 - pretty sure this one is a rooster, there really wasn't much for feathering at all
    [​IMG]
    Chick 3 - pullet?
    [​IMG]
    Chick 4- pullet?
    [​IMG]
    And the red pullets, any breed guesses?
    [​IMG]
    and this little gal, she's very fiesty (my daughter picked her out, perfect match [​IMG] ) she already dominates all the other little chicks even though she's our smallest. Not sure if you can tell by pictures but she is darker than the other red pullet with some variation in her coloring on her back. She's also the only one named at this point, meet Miss Susie
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 13, 2012
  2. mikecnorthwest

mikecnorthwest Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    Vancouver, WA
    My Coop
    Congratulations.... you'll have a lot of fun seeing those chicks grow up. As for rooster or hen, I wouldn't even venture a guess.

3. The Burg Peeps

The Burg Peeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2011
    Ontario
    Super cute! Enjoy you little chickies!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by