My very first chicks.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by DavesWorld, Mar 2, 2007.

1. DavesWorld

DavesWorld Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2007
    My brother Foghorn and I received some new babies this morning and I thought I would join the forum and post some pics of my share. They group includes 3 black giants (1 rooster), 2 barred rocks, 2 new hampshire reds and some roosters that they sent us for shipping warmth, maybe Foghorn will clue us in what type of roosters they are. All the chicks are doing great and I will post more pics of them in the near future.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. kingsdaughter

kingsdaughter Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2007
    California
    They are so adorable! I cant wait to get some of my own. Thanks for the pictures.

3. mudhen

mudhen confidently clueless

Jan 15, 2007
    Shepherdstown, WV
    HI DavesWorld and welcome to the site.
    You and your brother have got some great little peeps!
    Tell me about the dots on the backs of some of the yellow ones, did you put them there to ID them or are they natural and what breed are they?

4. DavesWorld

Mar 2, 2007
    Quote:The ones with the dots on them are natural and are roosters that they sent us for warmth during shipping, we'll have to wait for my brother Foghorn to fill us in on their breed.

5. equine chick

equine chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2007
    pennsylvania
    Where did you get your chicks? I know foghorn has had a rough time with his peeps from mcmurray? Are they from ideal? They are nice looking chicks and appear healthy. Welcome dave by the way.

6. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

I never get tired of looking a baby chicks. Thanks for posting!

7. DavesWorld

Mar 2, 2007
    Quote:Yep, they all came from Ideal and they're doing great. One question, I noticed that their crops are full, is this normal ?

8. Foghorn

Foghorn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Connecticut
    As far as what breed the cockerels are, my best guess would be gold sex-links. If anyone can see by the pics that they are something else, feel free to correct. My brothers pics of the bright yellowish chics with spots show them best. heres some other random shots.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. JamesC

JamesC Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2007
    The very first chicks my father bought when I was 11 (they got me started in this back in 1960) were yellow with black dots. They were California Whites. If the hatchery you deal with sells California Whites that would be my guess. The females are great layers and the body type is similar to Leghorns, so the males obviously have the Leghorn type as well. They aren't known for being a good meat producer but we butchered a few males at a time for Sunday dinner and I don't remember anyone complaining about it!!!
    If you go to Ideal's page and click on Online Store - Assorted Standard Chickens - Assorted Lights you will see a white bird with black spots. They don't give a name but I think that's what you got for your extra cockerels.

James

10. Foghorn

Foghorn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Connecticut
    Those look like they could be the same. Good eye!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by