1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My very first coop - a Tractor!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by gryeyes, Oct 1, 2009.

1. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I joined very recently but have been lurking for some time. This forum is absolutely INVALUABLE. I've learned a lot. Unfortunately, carpentry skills can't quite be taught by reading, but I have learned many, many things to try to incorporate into my coop. It looks exactly like something built by a previously sedentary 56 year old lady, but I'm hoping the chickens I plan on getting soon will not mind.

Here's the BYC page I've started: https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=41679

I'm
    planning on getting four chicks to raise - gotta get that brooder box ready really soon! - and this is where I'll house 'em when they're all feathered out. I live in West Sacramento, CA and there are very few winter days where the temperature drops below freezing: usually only down to 28 degrees.

Anyway, this is what I've started. Wish me luck!

2. BayMinetteChickenMom

BayMinetteChickenMom Out Of The Brooder

Aug 6, 2009
    Way to go, gryeyes! It looks great to me- and the chickens won't care. Have fun.

3. TcherDawn

TcherDawn Granite State Chook

Jan 30, 2009
    Prescott, AZ
    Very nice! You should be proud!

4. CityChook

CityChook Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    My Coop
    Nice Job Gryeyes!

Wonky is just fine. Good job on doing it YOURSELF.
    And welcome to the BYC!

PS - when I was new, I completely built my coop based on construction progression photos that I found on this site. We had NO IDEA what we were doing, but it all worked out okay. BYC folks are very very helpful and always willing to share experience and advice!

5. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

[​IMG]

and

[​IMG]

6. SunshineSteedFarm

SunshineSteedFarm Seramatching Equestrian

Aug 18, 2009
    Georgia
    [​IMG]
    And good job on the coop! [​IMG]

7. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

I think it's a perfectly wonderful tractor. It's a fine job and your chickens will enjoy it very much, that's what matters! Character is better than perfection anyway, and your's has both, great character and near perfection.

Oh, and... [​IMG] Happy to meet you! Glad you're here! [​IMG] Hope you have lots of fun with us!! [​IMG]

8. chixie

chixie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2009
    kountze texas
    awesome

9. Harrietsmum

Harrietsmum Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    Hamilton, New Zealand
    Well done. Making your own first coop is a good idea. Later on you may decide to go to a different design, or to get more chicks, but you are not going to feel too bad about it because this one did not cost you too much.

10. Sammimom

Sammimom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Sammamish,WA
    I love it! I want to make a tractor so my girls can get out and about more (and I can worry about hawks less)! I like your design, and may copy it a bit!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by