My very first egg today!

wundernurse

Songster
10 Years
Jan 26, 2009
Atlanta
The wait is finally over...my RIR laid her first egg and my first egg ever as a chicken owner. I feel so excited and proud. She is 25 weeks 1 day. Now the other girls need to get in the game!

21862_img_4613.jpg

21862_img_4614.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
Here is the coop. it is the garden coop design. Got the plans off the internet. Love the coop. It is great for the hot Atlanta summers and mild winters.
21862_img_4360.jpg

Congratulations!

And thanks for the pic of your "girl", and her age.

I have a better idea now of what to expect now. Mine are 24 weeks, but they still do not look as vibrant and healthy as yours. I think my supplier exaggerated their age just a tad.

Thanks Again,
Bob

My pullet, Florentine, a light Brahma laid her first egg in my flowerbed yesterday.
ya.gif
My X husband phoned to tell me and I was so excited I could barely wait to get home. After making sure he was not trying to trick me about Florentine laying an egg (I checked to see if EB was stamped on it anywhere) I piddled around until almost dark, then took it out of the refrig. I told him to hurry up and come in as I was about to crack open the first egg, so in he came. As I cracked the egg on the side of my iron skillet I noticed the shell felt kind of thin, so made a mental note to give the pullets some more oyster shell. What happened next was so astonishing I still can't quite believe it. Both of us gasped
ep.gif
as we peered into the pan...the egg had 3 yolks!!!! Has anyone ever seen such a thing???!!! I wish my camera battery had not been dead, because I've never been so surprised and proud in my whole life. I ran to the back door and screamed, "THANK YOU, FLORENTINE, PLEASE LAY ANOTHER IF YOU CAN!" Now I can't wait to get home and see if she has laid another egg.

My Brahmas were born on March 4, of this Spring...I was not expecting any eggs until September, but about a month ago Florentine started developing a swelled up comb and red wattles, while my other Brahma pullet, Omelet, still has not begun to develop those characteristics. Also, my large Brahma rooster romances Florentine occasionally, but I have not seen him romance Omelet (pronounced Ah-mah-lay.) I estimate they are 17 + weeks old now, and I bought them from Cackle as day old chicks.

Back
Top Bottom