My very first egg today!

Rin

Songster
14 Years
Oct 22, 2009
Moonglade (EU)
This morning, both of my D'uccle roos woke me up at 6am, unusual for them. They were crowing a LOT more and louder than usual. I disregarded it and went back to sleep. Woke up on my own around 8:30 AM and while having breakfast I noticed everyone was in the chicken run except for Auri. She is NEVER without Moto - but sure enough this time she was. I watched intently as the entire flock took turns going inside the coop only to run out again and when I finally finished eating I poked my head out the front door. My head rooster(peek-a-boo) was making an unusual clucking at me he's never made before - now is when I'm REALLY suspicious something is up as I listen to him "Buck-buck-buck-BRREEEE-HK". I work soon and decide she could either be laying her egg - or dead... I decided I couldn't deal with a dead hen so close to work. So I go get ready and head to my car when I notice shes in the run again, I grab my keys and unlock the roof panel to have a peek - nothing. I gave Auri a scolding look and blame her for scaring mom so much.

8 hours later... I get off and come home. I decide to check on everyone... frowning as they kicked the plastic dummy egg out of the henhouse again and it had sunk in mud (it poured heavy rain while I was gone) ...only... I was seeing double - they kicked the egg out but it was on the other side of their run... I rush back and stare and realize - it's the wrong colour to be part of the plastic egg... which is a real pale almost white pink - why, this round object buried in mud was mint green. I rushed to pull it out and sure enough!

43337_woo.jpg

My Auri had her first egg, she turned 20 weeks old just yesterday. Now I can't wait for her sister Moto and the pair of D'uccle pullets(a week younger) to join in. SO EXCITED! I can hardly breathe XD

43337_aurri.jpg

This is the one to push it out. My veloci-Auri (back when she was still featherin' out)
love.gif

Quote:
Thank you! Here's hoping I might find another tomorrow
fl.gif

Here's hoping they at least get bigger than this. She looks like she laid a perfect lil bantie egg.
lol.png

:clapHey!! Congrats on your first egg!! I have some young RIR's that aren't of age to lay yet, but, when they do I will celebrate! They are my first chicks I bought myself. All my others that are laying were given to me so these six feel like my kids....hahah. I can imagine your excitement!!
th.gif

Congrats on the egg! My chickies are 5, 6 and 7 weeks old and I am already counting down to week twenty. I have several months to go but I figure they'll lay when the weather is just starting to cool down here in TX and I'll start baking. I can hardly wait
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom