My very first Egg!! Whooot!!!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by LuvinMyPeeps, Dec 6, 2008.

1. LuvinMyPeeps

LuvinMyPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2008
    Powhatan, VA 23139
    Yippeee....guess what I found this morning? Our very first egg!!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I went into to check on my babies and noticed that two of my fooling eggs were kicked out of the nesting boxes. Yesterday one was slightly moved and my red sex-link, Sally has been squatting for a few days when I pet her. (Before she used to dart away from me). At first I didn't see anything but then I felt in and sure enough, she had carefully covered her egg so that just the tip was visible. Good for her! Here are some pictures. It's much darker than I expected - perhaps it wasn't from her? What do you think? Could it be my Marans? I doubt it because I checked Sally's vent and it was kind of watery looking and big, so I think it was her.

I've been on cloud nine all day! [​IMG] Here's some pictures. (I was trying to be creative [​IMG])

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Comparison to a store bought large egg (the white one)...
    [​IMG]

Comparison "close up"...
    [​IMG]

I'm sooo happy!! [​IMG]

2. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    Congrats on your first egg [​IMG]

3. Farmer Brown

Farmer Brown Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2008
    Raleigh, NC
    Very nice !!!!!!! Now begins the game of being totally obsessed with checking for eggs. [​IMG] We must check ours at least 10 times a day between the DW kids and I. [​IMG] [​IMG] It's like Christmas every day! [​IMG]

4. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

CONGRATS!!!! [​IMG]

5. LuvinMyPeeps

Aug 22, 2008
    Powhatan, VA 23139
    I KNOW!! LOL!! I've already been out there 3 times...hee...DH says, 'Hey! Maybe you'll get another one...go check!". [​IMG] He's 'egging' me on...It's so neat. I kind of messed it up because I picked up her egg, picked her up, checked her and gave her a nuzzle to tell her she was a good girl...then left. Then went in back later and she had moved the fooling egg out of the nest box, but when I checked again, no eggs, so I put it back in. (I'm such a control freak [​IMG]). It's kind of my way to see if I should check for anything or leave it alone. I'm already turning into a crazy chicken lady...LOL. I will be on cloud nine all week. [​IMG] This is the BEST feeling!!!

[​IMG]

6. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    CONGRATS, it is so excited when you get the first one.
    like you won the lottery.[​IMG]:weee:weee

7. mksenoj

mksenoj Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 12, 2008
    UpState, New York
    It's a great feeling ! [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. Chick_a_dee

Chick_a_dee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Peterborough, ON
    LOL my chickens play football with their fooling eggs, they kick them out and kick them around.

9. what was i thinking

what was i thinking Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    cny ny
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. LuvinMyPeeps

Aug 22, 2008
    Powhatan, VA 23139
    Thanks, guys! I was all elated yesterday, but today it's a different story. I went in to check if she laid another egg, and when I reached in to check, she bok-bawked at me! fftttt! (There weren't any eggs by the way today :-(...then I went in tonight after shopping all day, and nothin'. Do you think she's upset at me? I know it sounds dumb, but... [​IMG]

or are first layers just sporadic, especially in winter time?

Now I'm back to obsessing about getting more eggs! ack!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by