My very first hatchlings--including a surprise Silkie x!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by EggDropSoup, Aug 12, 2014.

1. EggDropSoup

EggDropSoup Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2012
    Hey all--

So I put 6 eggs under my VERY broody Salmon Faverolle, Floris, and 4 hatched into adorable chicks. I got a barnyard mix of eggs, and of the ones that hatched, two were blue, one was cream, and one was brown. Obviously, the two blue eggs came from an Easter Egger and I'm not sure of the cream or brown, though the brown was likely either a Dominique or an Australorp.

Three of the four chicks look almost identical-- their coloring tells me that a Dom rooster was most likely their father. The lady I got the eggs from has Dom, EE, Buff Orps, Silkie, and Cochin roos running with her hens. Since these three babies look like other barred babies before they get their adult feathers, I'm guessing the Dom was the father--so that means two of them are Dom-EE crosses.

The fourth baby (and last to hatch) was a pleasant surprise. Coal black skin, beak, fuzz, and adorable black feathered legs! The black skin tipped me off first--clearly, daddy was a Silkie!! Judging by the egg, I think mom might have been an Australorp. The baby has Silkie-type feathers, skin, and legs, but only has 4 toes, like a regular chicken. It'll be fun to see what all these babies look like when they grow up. Admittedly, I'm partial to the Silkie x chick, though, and I really, really, really hope it's a girl so I can add it to my flock. What do you guys think?[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Stiggy

Stiggy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2014
    New Zealand
    Very cute! I would love it if you kept this updated with pics as they grow. Your mumma hen has some lovely looking babies

3. EggDropSoup

Sep 12, 2012
    I will definitely keep it updated!! People have always told me Floris is an ugly hen--and sure, she's not the greatest example of her breed--but she definitely did a good job hatching these eggs and is a wonderful, protective mother. :) And I think the babies like hiding in her massive amount of poofy feathers!

4. Stiggy

Apr 29, 2014
    New Zealand
    If your not showing her then it shouldn't really matter, like they always say to kids " its what's on the inside that counts"

I have some 'ugly' hens that lovely personalities and I hold dear as pets. I bet they do, the poofyer the warmer in theory. Yes hopefully in a few weeks ( 8 weeks in usually the min) we might have an idea on gender

5. EggDropSoup

Sep 12, 2012
    She's definitely not a show bird!! But she's a stellar mom--and apparently, a very good feather bed. :)

[​IMG]

6. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

all of them are precious! Love them all! Congrats!! [​IMG]

7. Stiggy

Apr 29, 2014
    New Zealand
    haha well when you have babies theres no time to be a show girl anyways lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by