My very first lockdown wish me luck....update .. 3 hatched looks like a couple more will be soon woo

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by FLITZ, Mar 10, 2012.

1. FLITZ

FLITZ Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2012
    Wish me luck! my first lock down. I'm not sure what to look for when candling so I just put the all in for lockdown and I'm hoping for the best! I took out the turners put the eggs On the wire in my LG and filled all the places for water in the bottom. I put a small metal container with a paper towel sticking out of it. Just in case the humidity isn't high enough i can stick a hose in the little hole on top and put water in.

Wish me luck. My first time trying to hatch ever!

any suggestions? I put them in on a tuesday at 5:30ish pm on a Tuesday. Started setting up lockdown at 5;30is pm today (saturday) I hope at least something hatches its my first time. I would hate to have a 0% hatch rate!

also i smelled my eggs didn't smell anything bad.. should have i tried to take out any bad eggs or will my sniff test be good enough

Last edited: Mar 12, 2012
  2. NadineAdele

NadineAdele Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2012
    Number one rule after lockdown..do not open the top or you will kill your chicks..they will stick to the membrane inside the egg..

3. FLITZ

Feb 9, 2012
    thanks, I will be certain not to open it at all... until any chick that is going to hatch is already hatched.

If any of my eggs hatch..once I take them out I plan on putting them in a cardboard box with a brooder light (that im buying tomorrow) over it.

What should I give the lil chicks to eat to start off with. and as for water.. What is the easiest (cheap) thing to put water in for them. Just any shallow dish i can find?....well that is IF anything hatches

4. 3forfree

3forfree Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2010
    essexville, michigan
    get some chick starter for them. They can survive up to 72 hours left alone in the incubator after they hatch.If you put water in a small dish put some rocks or marbles in the dish so if the chicks takes a nose dive into the dish it doesn't drown. I don't want to give you any bad vibes, but I had a 0-24 hatch last spring, don't stop hatching if it happens it's just the way it goes. good luck. keep us posted. and take pics.

5. NadineAdele

Mar 10, 2012
    Oh yea..I got another one..don't put the baby chicks on slick paper !! I used that plastic gripper pad that ya put under carpets..cleans well too cuz it has holes in it..it lets the chicks run around without slipping and sliding around..lol..
    Some people put a fuzzy animal in the brooder so the chicks can snuggle up to it..

6. FLITZ

Feb 9, 2012
    at first my humidity was at 82%, I have two LGs one in a bedroom one in a closet.
    My hygrometers were a little unreliable but it was all i had. tried to calibrate them, but still read a little odd.
    It looks like one LG the humidity is around 72% now..
    the other is at 61% [​IMG]. I'm trying to get it up. Its the one in the closet. So i put some wet towels hanging in the closet in hopes the closet humidity will go up thus bringing the humidity in the incubator up.. I'm uncertain if this will work. . also I had to get my temps back up after taking the turners out. . I'm hoping that with the incubator temp where it is suppose to be it will heat the water a little inside the LG.....plus with the wet towels in the closet...maybe it will get the humidity up in a couple hours....or i hope!

[​IMG]

7. 3forfree

3forfree Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2010
    essexville, michigan
    If you're going to add water for humidity use warm water.My last hatch was 6-14, and after lockdown my humidity went crazy, it was good for the first 18 days, stayed around 30-35% then when I went to lockdown it got on a roller coaster, 90% then 30,then 90, then 40. I left it alone and the chicks hatched the night after lockdown.

8. NadineAdele

Mar 10, 2012
    If you need to build humidity in your room,this is what I do..I have a mason jar full of water sitting on one of the electric candle burners..sitting right next to my hoverbator..as the water evaporates..just add hot water to it.

Here is a pic of it..
    [​IMG]

9. FLITZ

Feb 9, 2012
    I have three hatched and it looks like about 3 more will be soon if it goes well that is. [​IMG]

I would be sooo excited if I get 50% hatch rate [​IMG]

10. Lucky1

Lucky1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    How Many eggs did you set?? Good Luck :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by