My Very First Loss =0(

Bec

THE Delaware Blue Hen
12 Years
Feb 21, 2007
Home Of The Delaware Blue Hen
Something came in a killed my little Jack!
hit.gif
He was fine this morning and then I left to go pick up my daughter from Pre-school, came home and there he was. It was a pretty gruesom sight. Something came in and got him while he and the girls were free-ranging around the yard.All the girls are fine. There was a pile of feathers and then he was about 10 feet away from the feathers..I didn't look very closely at what exactly happend, I am too upset to look, but something ate some of him. Do you think he was easier prey because he was a banty? The girls are very big BOs. Yesterday I had an American Kestral swwop down and try to steel a fluffy dog toy out of my yard. I didn't think anything of it except for the fact that it was funny to see something trying to steel a stuffed hedgehog! Do you think that is what came back and took thelife of my poor little Jack?

I am so upset about this that I cant even think about it with out crying ...again!
hit.gif

I'm so sorry about Jack! I bet, if he's anything like my Hawkeye, he got the girls to safety and made himself a target. It does sound like the hawk came back. I know a kestrel is small, but if he hit the boy just right, it wouldnt take a large hawk to break his neck outright. In that case, I'm sure he didn't suffer at all.

Sorry about your loss.
sad.png
I wish I could let mine free range, but I couldn't take going through this! Probably a dog!

Could have very well been the Kestral. Little Jack did a very good job of protecting his girls, he kept them safe by sacrificing himself. I think if it were something else like a cat or a dog, that you would have dead hens as well (though my cats tend to leave the standard chickens alone). The bird would have eaten his fill and then flown away. The initial attack was at the pile of feathers and then the Kestral may have tried to fly off with him but couldn't because of weight or what not, so he ate where the body laid.

If I had my choice of roosters (and wasn't looking to have any chicks) I'd go for a bantam rooster. In my opinion they're the best little protectors and very gentlemanly with the ladies.

I am so sorry to hear what happened - if your Jack is anything like my banty roo Clyde I bet he did protect his girls. It is a hard thing to be a roo and have to protect the flock sometimes losing thier life at the same time, be proud of him and be thankful that your girls are safe because of him.

Julie

How sad.

Rest assured though, to a roo, it all makes perfect sense, and his ladies are okay, so he probably would be pleased.

Hug your pre-schooler.... they're just the right size for comfort huggling.

Oh, I'm sorry. I have not experienced my first chicken loss yet. I know everyone here is right I bet he was protecting his big BO girls. Seems like a lot of roos are the only ones to get killed, probably because they are doing their job. I'm sorry for your loss and for sweet little jack.

Thank You all. It is very comforting to know that you all know what I am feeling. He did do a great job. He was always good at chasing the mockingbirds out and taking on the robins. This is my first loss, I didn't think it would be this hard. I knew it was always a possibility, but now it has hit home. Jack was only here for a short while, but was just awesome. I will miss him dearly.

Back
Top Bottom