1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My very first set of chicks arrived today!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by OzarkEgghead, Oct 28, 2015.

1. OzarkEgghead

OzarkEgghead Out Of The Brooder

Oct 8, 2015
    The Post Office called this morning and said that the chicks that I had ordered came in today. This is my very first attempt at raising chicks & keeping chickens so I'm really, REALLY excited!!!!!!!

Unfortunately, one poor little Black Aussie didn't survive the trip [​IMG]but the remaining 15 are active, appear healthy & are eating & drinking well. I'm a big sap so, of course, I cried about the little one that didn't make it...and I took it out and buried it just under the edge of the elevated coop so she would always be close to her "sisters". And, yeah, already wondering how someone as sentimental and wussified about an animal dying like I am is going to "pot" her hens when they're laying careers are over. I can already see chicken math on the horizon!!

I do have to send out a special thank you to @Blooie , in particular, for being so encouraging, allaying my fears, answering what seemed to be my endless stream of newbie questions and for tutoring me in the awesomeness that is a heating pad suspended over a wire frame for a toasty chick brooding cave!! It's working great & I'm not a nervous wreck about the chances of electrical problems or fires!!

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Congratulations on your new chicks! [​IMG]I'm sorry to hear that one Black Australorp didn't make it, but I'm glad to hear that the rest are doing well. I hope they turn into beautiful, productive laying hens for you.[​IMG] What breeds did you get?

3. OzarkEgghead

OzarkEgghead Out Of The Brooder

Oct 8, 2015
    I didn't have a huge selection of breeds to choose from because of how late into the year we are, but I got 8 little ISA Brown's and, with the loss of the Aussie, 7 little Black Australorps. They're all just so darned cute that I can't stop going in a just watching them romp around the Tupperware tote I have them in! Looks like I'm hooked!! LOL.

4. Hholly

Hholly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2015
    Amo, IN
    Congrats! They are sooo cute![​IMG]

5. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Fore!
    Congratulations on your first flock! I'm sorry you lost one, that happens sometimes. You'll get lots and lots of eggs from the others once they are mature. But don't be in too big of a hurry for them to grow up, they're only small for a short period of time. Take lots of pictures!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by