My very first time to ship eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by dancingbear, Apr 21, 2009.

1. dancingbear

dancingbear Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2008
    South Central KY
    I'll be shipping out my very first order of fertile eggs tomorrow. I took these pics of my packing, and I'm asking the person I'm shipping to, for feedback on how they fare on the journey. I almost feel like I'm cheating, though because they're guinea eggs. Those of you who are familiar with guinea eggs, know that you almost need a hammer to break them in the first place, so this isn't really a string test of a method of shipping fragile items. However, despite the rock-like shells, they can still be scrambled just as badly as more delicate eggs, so if they develop properly, that will be a good test.

Here's my packaging:
    [​IMG]

Box bottom is full of shredded paper, then two sheets of bubble wrap. Eggs are individually rolled in bubble wrap tubes, secured with one piece of tape.

[​IMG]

Egg-tubes gathered, eggs are big end up, tubes bent top and bottom so they don't slide off. There's a big sheet of wrap under them, to gather up around them, so they're held upright.

[​IMG]

Then secured with just enough tape to hold it together. Going light on the tape is to make it easier to unpack them, later.

[​IMG]

Tucked down into the center of the box, covered with more sheets of bubble wrap, and shredded paper stuffed in as need to secure and position eggs in the center, away from top, bottom, and all sides.

[​IMG]

Finished filling box with shredded paper, eggs all tucked in secure, hopefully enough keep them from bouncing around, but not so tightly as to damage them.

Now the outside, I hope this helps. The inspiration was taken from another person who posted about using this type of marking, to encourage careful handling.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The captions, if you can't make them out, are "What we look like now.", under the eggs, "What we'll look like when we hatch. Aren't we cute?" under the keets, and under the adults, "What we'll look like all grown up." Written in sharpie is: "But..what the heck are they? They're guinea fowl!"

So, in few days, we'll see what happens. I'm going to try this on all the eggs I ship, at least for now, to see if they have a high percentage of arriving in good condition.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2009
  2. Homesteading_Bound

Homesteading_Bound Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2008
    Madison,Ohio
    In my opinion...Great Job!!!

Rapped individually in the bubble rap...then rapped again. Putting the shredded paper around the eggs so there suspended in the center is key. [​IMG]

You Said:
    "I almost feel like I'm cheating, though because they're guinea eggs. Those of you who are familiar with guinea eggs, know that you almost need a hammer to break them in the first place, so this isn't really a string test of a method of shipping fragile items"

Your first time shipping....Great base....then you just work from there. You'll know how much to use once your up and shipping.....

Your going to be one of those shippers that buyers love to deal with....Best of Luck with your new adventure. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by